Prologue

Boredom is such an unsatisfying word. It didn't even come close to explaining the shade of dull gray that her life had turned into. Emelia St. James sat in the same cubicle she sat at eight hours a day, five days a week, fifty one weeks out of the year, for twenty two years straight.

She hated everything about this god awful cubicle. The gray walls, the gray counters, the dark gray carpet that hadn't been replaced since she started working there. She hated the stupid bobble heads on her desk and her stupid cubicle neighbors that would pop their stupid heads in and say stupid things.

There was nothing, in her mind, that she wouldn't give to be rid of this whole building. Yet after today she'll get her wish. And she'll beg to her god to put her back into her boring cubicle.

She wasn't a violent person. She didn't even spank her kids, Maria and Adam, no matter how much the little brats probably deserved it. She didn't even kill bugs that found their way into her home. Although there was one time she came face to face with a particularly nasty spider after getting up to pee in the middle of the night. She still to this day felt bad about flushing the poor thing down the toilet.

Perhaps it was because she envied the bugs. Or rather, she lived vicariously through them. Afterall, they got to spread their wings and fly. Free as a bird. Imagine that.

Sighing to herself she glance over at her favorite picture she had framed and centered beside her computer screen. A memory of a happier day gone by. A hansom, bearded man in an ugly jacket that didn't fit him at all yet he wore it anyway to Emelia's annoyance. One arm around a smiling Emelia, the other around their children.

"Emelia!" Barked a large mustached man standing at the entrance of her cubicle.

She nearly jumped out of her skin, the mustached man was Mr. Bowming, her short tempered boss with an even shorter hair line. He rapt his knuckles sharply on the desk to get her attention.

"Yes, Mr. Bowming." Maria said, a flustered hand straightening her hair bun as she adopted her professional voice, "I hope your weekend was nice. . . How is Barbara?"

"What is this I hear about you taking time off?" The condescending tone that was constant in Mr. Bowmings speech would cause a lesser woman to slit his fat throat. Emalia grabbed a tissue in preparation for the shower of spittle that flung themselves from his mouth as though even his saliva couldn't stand being too close to him, "Do you not realize how understaffed we are? Do you even care?"

"It's my son's birthday next week." Emelia explained, "It's just a couple of days so I can take him to Lucky's Coaster Park."

"You would leave me shit out of luck for an entire three days so that you can ride the marry go round? Do you know how promotions are obtained, Maria?"

'Do you know how fat pieces of shit end up in a ditch?' Maria swallowed the thought deep within her.

"Loyalty." Maria said, quoting the many lectures Mr. Bowming had given on the subject.

"Being where you are needed, when you are needed." His mustache ruffled triumphantly, as if this statement won the debate on its own, "How about you think about that next time you're thinking of leaving me upstream without a paddle." He leaned in and place a hand on her shoulder, "Why don't you just be a team player, huh? That's my Emelia."

He waddled off with a smile.

Maria took a deep breath held it in, putting pressure on her diaphragm, attempting to calm the rising tension within her. Slowly she spun her chair back around towards her computer. Trying to remember her what she had learned in her yoga.

Breathe in the calm, breathe out the anger.

Emelia breathed in the anger and breathe out wrath.