Chapter 5: Sands of Time

Current Day

 Sebastian slowly scanned the defiled corpse of the city he had once called home. It's buildings that once lined the streets, filled with the talk and laughter of free people, were blackened with ash and caved in. The beautiful plants that had once lined the inner streets to give the people fresh air to breathe had been purposefully torn up from the ground. What plants that remained after bacteria and bugs decomposed them back into the dirt sat with they roots sprawled out like hanging arteries of a man torn in half. What was left of the buildings were being devoured by growing vines.

 Bodies littered the streets. Or rather the skeletal remains of bodies. Most with their clothes still hanging off what was left of them, fluttering in the wind. Men, women, and children alike. Some with spears still sticking out of them. Some cut in half. There was two skeletons that caught Sebastian's eye. A mother holding what looked like her son. About seven probably, based on the t-shirt and shorts it was wearing. The mother's skeleton was huddled over the child. As though she tried to protect her young in her final moments.

 Before Sebastian could remember that he was running from something. It was too late. Lucas slammed into him like a charging bull. Sending him soaring sideways off of his feet. His ribs smacked the dirt hard. His hands still tied behind his back so that he was unable to brace himself.

 "You putrid blasphemous scum." Lucas said. His eyes full of white fire.

 Flashes of light briefly bounced around in Sebastian's skull as Lucas's fist smashed into his temple. Fuming with rage Lucas hit him again, and again, and again. Each strike filled a starvation for blood.

 "Lucas, stop!" Gillian said, running over to Lucas and trying to pull him off.

 Lucas jabbed her in the gut and pushed her to the ground before continuing his rampage.

 "You. . .vile. . .disgusting. . .vermin!"  With every word he struck Sebastian again. In the head, in the chest, wherever he could make contact. 

 Sebastian tried to free his hand to fight back but it was no use. He was just able to use his legs to lift his lower end up slightly. Just enough to get the movement he needed. He wrapped his legs around Lucas's abdomen from behind and pulled him backward. Lucas, recognizing he couldn't fight it, rolled with it so that he did a sort of backwards summersault so that he landed on his feet again.

 "You're dead meat stray." In his blind fury he pulled out a yellow vile from a pouch inside of his robes and downed the contents. He muttered a quick prayer before conjuring a glowing yellow spear.

 "That's what I was looking for." Sebastian said, grinning through red dripping teeth. He cut through the rope binding his hands with a single ray. Before jumping to his feet. Despite the aches in his neck and jaw, he was ready to fight. Ready to die even, right here and now. If anyone was going to pay for what had happened to his home, it might as well be this bastard of a man called Lucas.

 They both went to charge at each other when Gillian and Brandon jumped in to stop the fight. Brandon grabbed on to Lucas with both hands, barely able to keep him at bay. While Gillian simply stepped in front of Sebastian, who immediately stopped in his tracks.

 "I will never side with you cult following lunatics! You might as well kill me here and now cause I'm not coming with you." said Sebastian.

 "Gladly." said Lucas.

 "Come on Lucas. Chill out." Brandon pleaded. "We need him."

 Lucas snarled every sentence, all the while fighting against Brandon to gain inches towards his prey, "This dirt among humans doesn't deserve the skin he borrows from Micah on high. This wretched idolotrist deserves justice be done to him. You heard what he said about the gods? Said he wants them dead. That includes Micah, you know?"