CHAPTER SIX: That Thing!

Byron

"Don't say something stupid okay Bryon?" My dad said as we wait for Ferdinand Montecristo and his daughter.

I wonder what Yanny Montecristo looks like?

Kasing ganda kaya sya ni Alicia Silverstone? Does she have luscious lips like Angelina Jolie or Liv Tyler?

The boys will definitely drool when I introduce her to them.

Suddenly the sliding door opens and two figures came inside.

It's Ferdinand Montecristo and his secretary who is currently talking to someone over the phone.

Nagtama yung mga mata namin nung secretary. She just stares at me with those wide eyes beneath her old fashioned thick eyeglasses. I look at her from head to toe.

One thing is for sure Ferdinand Montecristo had bad taste in choosing a secretary.

Sino ba namang gaganahang pumasok sa opisina kung araw araw itong nilalang na ito ang unang bubungad sayo diba?

Geesh!

Ferdinand and his secretary finally sat in front of us.

"I am sorry we are a little late." Sinabi ni Mr. Ferdinand sa ama ko.

"It's fine kadadating lang din namin ni Byron." my dad said with a smile tapos tinawag nya yung waiter.

"You can serve the food already." my dad ordered.

"Wait dad! How can we start if my fiancé is still not here." I said. My dad looks at me na parang gusto nya akong sakalin.

I heard Ferdinand Montecristo clearing his throat so we both look at him.

May sinabi ba akong masama? I am just being a real gentleman.

"Pardon me for not introducing my daughter properly." he started to say.

Yan ang tamang gawin. Before we start eating dapat papasukin na muna nya yung anak nya.

"Byron I want you to meet my daughter Yanica Therese Montecristo." sabi ni Ferdinand Montercristo tapos inakbayan nya yung nilalang sa tabi nya.

Nakayuko lang yung nilalang at di man lang ako matignan ng derecho sa mata.

I forced a smile then I look at my dad who is just staring far right now evading me.

When the food finally came in I excused myself at nagpalusot na magsi-cr. While outside I dialled my dad's phone number.

"Meet me outside. I don't care kung anong pualusot and idadahilan mo sa kanila but if you won't come out right here this instance dad hindi na ako papasok ulit dyan. I am going to leave and I don't give a damn if mapahiya ka." I said in gritted teeth then I ended tha call even before my dad can say anything.

After thirty seconds my dad came out of the room.

"What's the matter Byron?" my dad asks me.

"Seriously dad?!" I exclaimed. "You really want me to marry that that that THING?!!!!!"

"Be careful with your words Byron." my dad warns me. I just messed up my hair dahil sa sobrang inis.

"Ano bang problema mo kay Yanny? She is a good girl." my dad defended the thing.

"What's wrong with her?!!! Are you blind dad?!!! Everything is wrong with her! She reminds me of gandma! I won't marry that THING!!!!" I shouted.

My dad pushed me towards the wall and stare at me with narrowed eyes. "Look Byron you think that with your looks and your money sikat ka na? Well you got it all wrong young man." my dad said with a hiss. "You have a very bad image and everyone calls you a douche behind your back. All you care about is looks and I think marrying Yanny will knock some senses out of you!"

So this is all about teaching me a lesson?

"Do you think dad that by making me marry that THING mababago ang pananaw ko sa buhay?"

"I don't know but I would to atleast give it a try. The Montecristos need our partnership and I need to teach you a lesson Byron that love is not based on physical attributes only." my dad said.

I laugh out loud.

"Do you honestly believe that I can fall in love with that thing dad?" I said while shaking my head. It is impossible! She's my nightmare coming into life. That woman reminds me of cold cabinets and moth balls.

"Better choose wisely Byron. Marry her or lalangoy ka kangkungan?" my dad said before leaving me behind.

Yanny

I can see it in his eyes. He wasn't expecting that his fiance would be me.

Would look like me.

He is still the same old bully who called me Batang Kwago before. He is the reason why my elementary years were a total nightmare.

"This isn't working dad." I said habang hinihintay namin na bumalik si Mr. Brent at si Byron.

The sliding door opens again and Mr. Brent steps in. "I am sorry I really have to take that call from the office. It's very urgent." he apologized but I know na palusot lang yun. He went out to talk to his son.

"Where's Bryon?" my dad asks.

"Ahhh kasunod ko na sya." Mr. Arevalo said as he sits down to his chair.

I doubt it! Knowing Byron hindi na babalik yun. I am sure kumaripas na sya ng takbo papalayo ng restaurant na ito.

"Oh there he is already!" I heard Mr. Brent said. I dropped my spoon as Byron walks inside the room tapos umupo sya muli sa harapan ko.

"Shall we begin?" he said then he looks at me. "Nice to finally meet you my future wife." he said to me with a devilish grin. I just evaded his eyes and focused on my plate.

Maraming pinag-usapan over dinner like the date of the wedding at yung mga preparations na gagawin. Even who will be invited was already planned by my father and Mr. Brent. I discreetly glance at Byron from time to time as my father and his father talk. Byron is just sitting quietly at his place like me. Pareho kaming walang kibo.

I can smell something fishy.

He looks my way and smiled. I didn't give him one. Why would I? Ayoko yatang maging Tupperware!

It is very obvious that he objected about the marriage to his dad awhile ago because of how I look. I knew it right away. I don't need to be a rocket scientist just to guess that. Byron seems to be excited to see his future wife when he assumed that I was just my dad's secretary but when I was introduced to him he ended up excusing himself to go to the bathroom.

He is so predictable!

"I am sure Yanny will be a good wife to Byron. Have I told you that my daughter here is great cook?" pagmamalaki ni dad sa akin. I want to snort but I contained myself.

"That's good to hear, right Byron?" Mr. Brent said and Byron just gave us a smile. A fake one I am sure of that.

I rolled my eyes. Kung pwede lang sanang takpan ang tenga ko ngayon at kumanta ng La La La ni Naughty Boy ginawa ko na.

The dinner ended with only Mr. Brent and my dad happy. Hindi ko alam what Byron feels or thinks about all of these since his emotions were so guarded. But what will happen to our company if Byron backs out?

Even if we don't like each other I must make sure na papayag sya sa kasal. For the sake of everyone.

Period.