Chapter 311: Mistaken

"What the?"

Ves turned to face the one thing he never wanted to meet again. His mother's ghost. "You!"

"Hello, my son." His mother smiled at him as she held the high-grade ore. "You have been a naughty boy. This does not belong to you."

"Damn ghost!" Ves cursed and turned to Lucky. "C'mon buddy, the ghost is here! Attack!"

He expected his pet to pounce on the ghost and scratch out her face just like he scratched the devourer king's maw.

He did not expect Lucky to ignore him outright and keep on munching at his latest dish.

"Lucky!"

His mother's smile took on a knowing edge. "Have you forgotten where you obtained him in the first place?"

The System gifted Lucky to Ves shortly after he received it. The System came from his father, which meant…

His mother snapped her fingers. "Come here."

Lucky suddenly ceased his munching and slinked over to his mother, bypassing Ves as if he didn't exist. As soon as he reached her legs, he brushed his body against them as if his mother was his owner.

Ves felt betrayed.

"So my son has named you Lucky, has he? That is a fine name for a creature such as you." His mother remarked as she bent down to pet his back. "I see he has been treating you well."

He already felt a tug from his recently recovered internal energy cycle. His mother didn't hold back from harming her own son.

"You're not my mother!" He hissed. "Stop pretending you're her!"

His words fell on deaf ears. Lucky kept acting cute in his mother's presence while the witch herself looked at Ves like he turned into a three-year old kid who was having a tantrum.

"Ves, I am not your enemy. I am your mother. I can never hurt my own flesh and blood."

"Then what about your presence and your life-sucking aura?! You're draining me even as we speak!" He replied and backed away. He even tried to retrieve his laser pistol, only to remember he handed over the weapon to the guards just outside the vault.

The extra distance helped, but Ves quickly bumped into a wall of safes. He had nowhere else to go as his mother drifted forward as if she didn't have a care in the world.

The drain quickly picked up, and Ves started to lose a significant amount of internal energy. Even though he had no clue of its use, he didn't wish to give it all away to an indigenous monster from the Glowing Planet.

Sadly, his only means of fending her off had just rolled over to show his belly to her. His mother reached down to scratch Lucky's chin. Who was his real owner here?!

"Oh Ves, poor Ves, you understand so little." His mother tutted as she hovered closer. "You keep lying to yourself, but you can't deny what your heart is telling you. It is time for you to grow up."

Even as she spoke those words, the drain accelerated to the point where Ves lost control over his body. This encounter happened in the exact same manner as the last two times. He really grew sick of facing energy beings!

His mother must have been aware of how Ves started to grow feeble. "My time grows short. Just know that I am glad to see you healthy, and wish you don't risk your life anymore. I have lost many friends and family in the last war. Not even mech designers are safe."

"Go away…"

"I will see you again, Ves." She whispered, and her body started to fade out of existence.