Matilda

(Your POV)
I was just finishing my run. I stopped to get some coffee for JJ, Amelia and myself. I got my order and ran back to Amelia's house.

I walked in and saw them both sitting on a couch with weird looks on their faces. Amelia looked slight hurt and mad, yet JJ looked concerned and confused.

„Who died?" I asked handing them their coffee.

„Mom's here," Amelia said quietly, „In the backyard."

„What?" I asked with clear shock on my face.

„She was looking for you," Amelia told me.

I took a second before saying, „Alright then. Come on JJ. Get the kids, we're leaving," I said.

Just as Jennifer got up, my mother came back, „What's the rush?"

I looked at her, „No, I'm not doing this right now."

"Well you wouldn't have to if you bothered to return any one of my phone calls," she said.

"I don't even have your number. We gotta get to work, bella," I said looking at JJ.

„Work," she scoffed, „I'll make this quick then. Your father is looking for you. He thought someone killed you but I figured I'd check if you're maybe in the states."

I shook my head, „What? Daddy misses me?" I scoffed.

„Admit it or not, he's a loyal man," she said.

„Cut the bullshit now, you don't even like the man. And he's only loyal because it's the right thing, surly it's not out of love. Why do you care, anyway? You didn't care when your other daughter died."

„And who's fault is that, huh?" She said.

„Mom!" Amelia yelled.

„Am I wrong?" She asked Amelia and looked back at me, „It's not that surprising. You've always been impulsive, you don't think things through or the impact they're gonna have on other people. You just do whatever the hell you want."

„How could you know how I've always been? I haven't seen you since I was seven years old," I scoffed.

„I'm your mother. I know you. You concoct these preposterous stories to cover the truth that inevitably surfers and if you're really clean now, we can't blame the drugs," she said.

„You just proved my point. I never once did drugs in my life. That was Marcella but who the hell cares right? You didn't come to her funeral either because why bother? One of us is still here, why give a fuck which one," I said.

„It's not my fault your sister couldn't handle the world without substances," she said.

„You left her alone," I yelled, „It is your fault."

„I left her with you," she said.

„I was seven," I whispered, tears now burning in my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall, "I was a child."

"It made you stronger," she said.

"She was a kid," Amelia said, "She didn't need to be strong. She needed to be protected and safe."

„Amelia, back me up here," she turned to look at her.

„Get out," Amelia said, tears in her eyes too, „Get out of my house."

Our mother scoffed, „Good luck playing house," she said and left.

I ran my hand through my hair taking a deep breath before sitting on the couch.

„You okay?" I asked Amelia.

She sniffled and nodded, „Yeah," she whispered.

I took her hand in mine and squeezed it before turning my head to look at JJ.