15

As both Toby and Robert started setting the table and Karen brought the food table, Sarah sat there in her wheelchair trying to keep a smile on her face. It was hard for her to not feel discouraged due to the challenge the everyday tasks that she took for granted before her accident. She had to relearn how to dress herself, clean herself and a bunch of other stuff that she didn't need to think about before. She had to rely on someone else if she wanted to go somewhere due to her family not having car that was modified for her disability. Even now she had to wait at the table as the rest of them got it ready for dinner. This grated on her since she started college till the time of the accident she was use to being independent. It was both physically and mentally exhausting figuring out her new limitations. 

It also didn't help that she would get a excruciating pain in her legs that made her unable to move or think. It felt like her legs were being electrocuted, medicine also seemed to do nothing for the pain so she suffered as silently as she could.  While all the doctor's and nurses seemed optimistic about Sarah having a full recovery,  Sarah couldn't help but feel discouraged due to how slow her progress was. She felt that she hadn't made any progress at all since coming home and she also tried to hide her feelings and pain from her family so she doesn't worry them.

"Well at least it's only my legs," Sarah thought as everyone sat down to eat. "If it were my hands and arms I couldn't write plays or stories without help."

They all ate the delicious stew and sides that Karen had made making sure to thank and compliment the dinner. This made Karen smile happily and Sarah also discreetly gave a thumbs up to the brownie that was watching them from the kitchen cupboards. After dinner Sarah offered to at least clear the dirty dishes off the table while Robert put the leftovers away. Thankfully she was able to do that without much help, Toby had helped her gather them in a pile. It took her about two trips to take them to the sink but since she didn't break any or have to much difficulty transferring them, she decided to take it as a win.

After dinner Robert decided to finish up some work in Sarah's old bedroom that was now his office space upstairs. Karen told both Sarah and Toby that if they needed anything she would be in her sewing studio. Karen ran a small sewing studio from her home and was pretty successful. She mostly did alterations for people but she sometimes took special commissions. She had made both Sarah's prom dress and her college graduation dress. Karen loved to design and bring her designs to life much like Sarah creating her stories. Sarah smiled at Karen and informed  her that she wanted to go to the park for some fresh air. 

Sarah hadn't left the house by herself in awhile. She wanted to get some fresh air and different scenery. As well as hoping that a change of pace could help her with the smothering feeling that didn't seem to ever leave her. Karen paused on her way to her studio and opened her mouth to speak but Toby spoke up eagerly "Hey Sarah, can I join you? We haven't spent any time just the two of us for awhile."

Toby looked at her with a sparkle in his light blue eyes "Plus I want to be the first one to hear the details of your new story."

  Sarah held back a sigh as her plan of being alone was thwarted. She knew Toby was trying to make sure his Mom didn't worry. She and Toby hadn't spent any time alone together since her accident and she loved to spend some time with him. It was just at this moment she wanted to go to the park and remember the memories she had there by herself. Even when she was home and in her room it seemed that someone was checking on her every 15 minutes. It was actually starting to drive her nuts because she would lose her train of thought when she was writing and she just wanted a few minutes alone. Yet looking at Toby's face plus Karen's look she couldn't find it in herself to deny him.

  Karen waved at them as Toby followed Sarah out the door. They quickly crossed the street with Toby helping her get across quickly and they headed to one of Sarah's favorite places, her childhood park. Once they were out of sight, Toby stopped helping her with the wheelchair knowing she wanted to do it herself. He spoke "Sorry Sarah. I know you probably want to be alone. I just don't want Mom to worry, ya know."

Sarah smiled at him as they got to a steeper part of the path "I know. It's just slightly frustrating not being able to do things by myself."

Toby nodded in understanding and stated "If you want when we get to the park, I'll see if any of my friends are there and you can be alone until we have to go home. I won't tell Mom. Deal?"

  He lifted his hand to shake which Sarah took and shook firmly. The sidewalk they were on was getting steeper and Sarah was starting to pant and tire from pushing the wheels of her chair. Toby gestured silently to the handlebars which Sarah nodded and flashed him a smile when he started helping her up the hill. 

  "What a sight to see" Sarah thought as she helped Toby push her chair up the hill "A 12 year old boy helping a woman push a chair up a hill. Sounds almost like a nursery rhyme."

  Toby who just came to Sarah's shoulder was pushing with all his strength with his arms in front  and his leg extended behind him. Sarah was helping by pushing the wheels. Their neighbors that saw them waved and moved to help them but Sarah was quick to shake her head knowing that their kind intentions would make Toby feel inadequate. Toby had, since the hospital, been trying to prove that even though he was young that he could be of help to his older sister. So Sarah waved off the couple of people who started towards them, thankfully they were quick to realize and instead just smiled at the scene. Sarah was sure one of them had also taken a picture of them but since it was one of Karen's close friends so she didn't worry about it.

  They got to the top of the hill and could see the park entrance at the bottom. She let Toby catch his breath at the top but then Sarah began spinning her wheels fast towards the park entrance calling over her shoulder to her still tired brother "Last one there is a rotten Roc egg!!"

  Sarah's chair began to pick up speed and quickly went down the slope as Toby tried to catch up yelling "No fair. You got a headstart. Cheater!"

 Sarah laughed as she slowed down so she could turn into the park with Toby right on her heels. When they finally stopped they both laughed and Toby bent over trying to catch his breath. Sarah feeling winded sighed and said "I really should start working out more especially if I lose my breath from pushing myself up a hill."

  Toby laughed and replied "I'll join you. Bet Dad could help us turn one of the rooms or the garage into a workout center for the whole family. Could be fun to do it together plus soccer season is almost over so I really need to find something to keep me active and tire me out so I don't drive Mom insane from all the excess energy I have. I also don't really want to join the school soccer team."

  Ever since young Toby seemed to have more strength, agility, awareness, speed and energy than most kids his age. Sarah thought this was probably a side effect of the magic that surrounded them both in The Goblin Realm because Toby was able to also able to understand most animals needs. He didn't talk to them per se but was able to tell what they needed on a instinctive level. Both he and Sarah were able to manipulate plant life around them to a small degree, mainly just helping them grow and flourish. Both were able to see magical creatures and were also able to communicate with them. Sarah was concerned when both she and Toby had started showing magical signs that she immediately contacted Hoggle. She was nearly hysterical telling Hoggle all the different things happening around them. Hoggle was able to calm Sarah and reassured her it was just a slight side effect from being in a magic realm and since they lived in the mortal realm which had so little magic power to help them that they shouldn't manifest too many powers that would be noticeable. Sarah had calmed and as Toby grew she taught him how to both conceal their powers and use it in a inconspicuous way with the help of her friends. Though he mostly used his small amount of power to help get away with pranks with his Goblin Pals while Sarah used hers to research and communicate with different magical beings who would come to see them. 

  Sarah beamed at Toby who was once again showing his support to his sister. She reached over and ruffled his hair and teased "You just don't want to be bowled over by those super tall opponents which make you seem like a dwarf."

  Toby darted out of her reach and stuck out his tongue. He denied that his height was the reason. He was sensitive about his height especially since it seemed that all his friends hit a growth spurt before him. Sarah laughed and quickly agreed to stop him from glaring at her. Toby quickly left to look for his friends after making sure Sarah was fine being alone. Sarah pushed her chair towards her favorite spot in the park letting the peace and tranquility of the place work its magic on her. She felt the most at peace and happy for the first time in awhile. 

 Neither of the siblings had noticed that two pairs of eyes had watched them since they arrived at the park. One was a barn owl resting in a oak tree while below it was a young girl with red hair and amber eyes.