THE CAUSE OF YORK

CHEPTER FIVE

If England was in peril in 1449, when Warwick inherited his wife's lineage, the year that followed was even worse. The loss of the Norman fortifications was quickly followed by the intermittent outbursts of public wrath that could have been anticipated—outbursts aimed against everyone who may be linked in any way to the terrible rule of the realm. In January, a group of rebellious seamen attacked Bishop Moleyns, the Privy Seal's Keeper and killed him at Portsmouth. The storm that was gathering against Suffolk, the leader of the government, was only hinted at by this strike. He was removed from power by an unstoppable outpouring of wrath four months later, after the crucial Battle of Formigny had been fought and the last English foothold in Northern France had been lost. The entire country participated in this outpouring of wrath, from the London mob to the House of Lords. With the King's pardon protecting him from legal repercussions, Suffolk fled by water. However, He was waylaid by some London ships in the Straits of Dover, and Nicholas, the tower's captain, arrested and executed Suffolk after a fabricated trial. He was so despised that his terrible death was met with joy rather than regret, and the political balladeers of the day composed several disparaging rhymes over his decapitated body.

Suffolk's passing didn't improve things; it warned of more significant problems. Two months after his passing, many more uprisings in the southern counties were followed by the sizeable Kentishmen insurrection led by Cade. The same drive that had killed Suffolk motivated the revolutionaries, who were determined to end everyone guilty for the recent calamity overseas and poor domestic governance. Bishop Ayscough was executed by a mob of his own tenantry in Wiltshire, while Lord Say, the Treasurer, was captured and killed in London. But because the uprising had any strategy or reform program and was led only by the dishonest adventurer Cade rather than any other respectable figure, it quickly subsided on its own without having any lasting impact on how the realm was governed. The national unrest needed a competent leader and a clear plan of action to exert its influence.

The Court party and the populace were aware of potential locations for such a leader. Richard Duke of York, the King's presumptive successor, was in Ireland, on the other side of the ocean. He was an able soldier, very tried in the French wars, a firm and succeeded administrator—he had even been successful in winning popularity in Ireland—and a person of impeccable integrity who had gained the trust of the entire country. But unfortunately, he also had a grudge since, although he was the 1st prince of the blood, he was purposefully denied any role in the King's councils or involvement in the kingdom's government. He had been replaced by the unfortunate Somerset during a victorious campaign in France and sent to Ireland, perhaps with the belief that, like most earlier rulers of that troubled nation, he would ruin his name there. But he was lucky that running the island only helped him get more notoriety. The Court party were already scheming against him again, and the populace anticipated that he would soon be placed in another exile. But, as the ballad-singer crooned, the falcon flies and doesn't stop until he determines where he may set up his nest.

Although Cade's rebels frequently mentioned the Duke in their declarations, there doesn't appear to be any solid evidence suggesting they had ever spoken to him. Instead, all groups and individuals who were dissatisfied spoke of him as the one who would one day put things right, which was the sole proof against him. Nevertheless, he was threatened with high treason charges, and it appeared that action would soon be taken against him. Finally, York made the first move. He overthrew the Irish government, moved to Wales, and then travelled to London with a sizable contingent of his Marches tenants. There, he requested an audience with the King, during which he swore allegiance to the monarch and was given Henry's promise that no harm was meant for him. After completing this, he retreated to his properties near the Welsh border. However, he had now firmly positioned himself at the head of the court party's opponents, whom he had blistered in his remonstrance to the King.