THE QUARREL BETWEEN WARWICK AND KING EDWARD

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The last hopeless attempt by the Lancastrians to hold their own in the North ended with Hedgeley Moor and Hexham and the eventual capitulation of the Northumbrian fortresses. The few remaining commanders who had avoided Somerset's and Hungerford's destiny fled from Scotland and travelled across the ocean. The leader of them was shortly seen by Philip de Commines on the streets of Ghent "reduced to a level of extreme need and poverty, beyond the comprehension of common beggars. The Duke of Exeter was observed (though he hid his identity) following the Duke of Burgundy's train and begging for food from door to door until he was finally given a little stipend out of sympathy for his plight." Some Somersets, including John and Edmund, brothers of the recently beheaded Duke, were present. Jasper of Pembroke travelled to Wales and then spent a year wandering the hills between counties in search of companions. Nobody could have predicted that the Lancaster cause would ever resurface.

Warwick, like the rest of the Englishmen, may start to occupy himself with matters other than wars and sieges now that the times of war are finally gone. Finally, free in July, he was ready to consider heading south to look for the Midland estates he had only briefly seen during the previous five years. After a brief period of leisure, we find him at the King's Council in September, where he is advocating for two actions that he believes are essential for the complete pacification of the realm. 

The first was the signing of a formal peace deal with France. The Lancastrians were used to getting their ships and money from King Louis. As long as England and France remained at war, it seemed guaranteed that King Edward's adversaries would continue to find refuge and support over the Channel. As a result, the Earl pushed for the signing of a treaty. Eventually, he succeeded in getting himself and his friend and supporter Wenlock appointed as ambassadors to Louis. He connected the first of his plans with the second. It was past time for them to get married, as had been suggested by all of England for quite some time. Those close to the person knew that some scandal had already been caused by his successful and unsuccessful attempts on the honour of several ladies around the court. As a result, men "wondered that he abodes so long without any wife, and feared that he was not over chaste of his living." For a while, there had been rumours linking Edward's name to several princesses from foreign royal houses of marriageable age. Some believed he was ready to wed Mary of Gueldres, the Queen Dowager of Scotland.

In contrast, others said he was starting to court Isabel of Castile, the sister of the occupying Spanish King. However, these reports had no basis in reality. Warwick's plan was to wed a French princess to solidify the peace with France, which was indicated explicitly in the initial questions that gave him permission to address Louis. King Edward needed a woman of an appropriate age "to grow him well lineage such as his father had reared," therefore Louis' sisters, who were all married and his daughters, who were just little children, were omitted. The woman Warwick asked them to marry was Bona of Savoy, Charlotte's sister. A princess who resided at the court of her brother-in-law King Louis and whose veins carried the blood of the Dukes of Burgundy and the Kings of France.

Warwick's proposals received no direct opposition from King Edward. King Louis was informed of the idea, safe conduct for the English Embassy was secured, and Warwick and Wenlock were scheduled to arrive at St. Omer on October 3rd or 4th. However, the most astonishing news was delivered to Warwick just before he arrived in Reading on September 28 to receive his master's last instructions. We have a description of the event that has some elements of truth.

The Council convened formally to sanction the marriage arrangements. They were informed of the desire and anticipation of his fellow citizens that he would deign to grant them a Queen by a speaker, most likely Warwick.

They then said that while he did intend to wed, he was worried that his choice of spouse would not be well-liked by everyone there. He would then reveal his destination to the council members who had enquired about his plans. They replied that he would marry Dame Elizabeth Grey, the daughter of Lord Rivers, in a very triumphant voice. The Duchess of Bedford's mother had married a simple knight, so despite being the daughter of a duchess and the niece of the Count of St. Pol, she was still not his wife. They responded that she was not his match, despite how good and Regardless of how attractive she could be, he must be aware that she wasn't the right match for a royal prince like himself. King Edward said that he should not take another wife and that it was his pleasure to hear the lords of his blood and his Council's statements, which it deemed appropriate for them to bring before him.