Chapter 11: Veronica?

TW: Please read this chapter with care, talk of sewerslide and methods of which, medical talk, outdated talk which may be upsetting and/or offensive, gun violence, and anything else if I've forgotten please let me know and I shall add it. As always, stay safe 💜💜

"Look" She put her head down, ashamed, needing to do damage control as she wasn't expecting to be alive after saying that and the note should've told him for her she didnt mean it once she was gone but she had noticed that she clearly failed with that plan.

She lifted up her head, thinking he at least deserved her to look at him "I know what I said was awful and you have every right to ignore me and hate me forever but I just, I wanna tell you I didn't mean it" She shook her head "not a single word of it, I love you and it wasn't your fault your mom died and that was such a cruel thing to say, and I am so SO sorry" she tried to tell him, assuming she was found by someone before she did anything permanent and woke up in hospital...

She wasn't sure why she couldn't remember getting out of her hospital bed though....everything was almost disjointed, like the world around her was out of focus, not quite right, like a dream.....

She didn't get any response "JD, please look at me" her voice broke, truly sorry for what she said to him.

He grabbed his coffee, putting his head back up and looking directly at her before walking through her, sending a shiver of cold up her spine.

"Huh?" She said, looking down at herself confused, watching him walk away, hearing doctors talking about her, following them.

"Veronica Sawyer, room 103, she's stable but still in critical condition, yes?" The doctor who was coming on to do the rounds as he came on the day shift... Day already? ...asked his junior.

"Excuse me, I'm Veronica, what are you talking about??" She questioned the doctors, getting no response or even acknowledgement that there was anybody or anything there, just the same as with JD.

"Where the fuck am I?? Why cant you see me?!" She questioned desperately and held out her hands, looking at them and back up again, noticing the doctors walking away, walking after them "hey, wait!"

"Sir, that's a kind way to put it, she's basically brain dead"

"What?!" Veronica exclaimed in shock "no I'm not, I'm right here! Can't you hear me?! Look, I'm right here!" She yelled, begging for someone to hear her, she was confused and disorientated, she didn't understand what was going on as still no one looked at her and everything continued to feel like a dream, like those lucid dreams you sometimes get where you're trying to call to someone you're there and they can't hear you or even see you no matter what you try to do or you try and run to them but you're in slow motion.

"Yes, I read what the doctor from last night said, thank you. And "basically brain dead"" he put in air quotes with a roll of his eyes at his junior "isn't a medical term, she's comatose and requiring a tracheostomy for ventilation and life support, yes, but I'm going to need more proof before I diagnose a 17 year old otherwise healthy adolescent brain dead, thank you"

"She's not going to wake up, and if she does she-she was deprived of oxygen sir, she may awake if a miracle happens, but will she awake how her parents want her to? How she would want to? There's no doubt there's brain damage, what would her quality of life be??" He questioned his senior

"Yes, I've seen the scans done last night, rushed, botched, and premature if you ask me, especially to pronounce brain death, no time was given to allow any swelling to go down nor her circulatory system to restore enough oxygen and blood flow to her head, I want a fresh set of scans today, I want a full neck head and spine x-ray, and 2 fresh brain scans, I want to see every single inch of that girls brain, how it's working, what's the activity and where, and then, we'll go from there, okay, now go order them" he told him as his junior obeyed and walked off sheepishly after being told off for referring to Veronica as 'basically brain dead'.