Betting Cards & Shooting Stars (Prequel Part One)

They weren't fond of parities. They'd rather be at home, watching an old movie, like most nights, or even studying for their damn HIST - 207C and PHYS - 105 finals. Anything to not be picking drying gum from the yellow leather of their jacket. Plus, watching Fabián absolutely butcher twenty-third century music . . . wasn't exactly convincing them otherwise.

Silently cursing at their cousin's grating love of airhorns. Just wave hello, like a normal person. Sol did their best to avoid eye contact. Skirting the bubblegum glare of the karaoke hollo-game, lighting their braids pink in the dark, as they slipped towards the back of Fabián's apartment. Credits and cards laid out on tables. Through leather and polyester, a sea of pastel and black; Sol greeted the sickly smells of nicotine, caffeine, and drunken hellos, with a practiced smile.

The sounds, lights, and scents, like constricting waves, a headache welling.

Suffocating.

* * *

Bitter and burning, the almost clear liquid sloshed. Heavy in their plastic cup. It looks like isopropyl alcohol, they thought. And the taste wasn't much better. But it gave them a much needed excuse, as they bit down on the stars-awful taste. Can't believe Terrans drank this . . . shit.

As they closed the bedroom door and turned around, Sol suddenly knew why they called it moonshine. And suddenly, for once, they wished they were drunk.

Moonlight charms glinted, encircling her pale neck and wrists. Their chest tensed and coiled, like the spring of their analog watch. Luna's dark hair fluttered, bleeding to lilac and orange, as it mingled with the dim flicker of neon screens. Lemon, and apricots, and something . . . metallic?

An ear twitched.

"Hey. . . Sol," Her sharp eyes landed on them with a thin smile. "How've you been?" A gray line of smoke dissipated with a flick of her hand.

"Uh, good," They sighed, hands in pockets, as they walked towards her. "Just taking a break. But why are you here?"