Secret Uncovered

#don't forget to tell me how you feel about this novel, you can send me a private message let's be friends if you want, I'm a new comer on this app.
It's roughly 2 months I joined this platform and it will be nice of you to give me a warm welcome.*

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. It was an early cold morning, the weather seeming so chilly because of the rain that fell last night. It was a few minutes past 10 am when Nkem returned from work not long ago.

I had made a sandwich and bread for him, as I always do every day, as soon as he's back from work, before starting to tidy the house.

I was in our bedroom tidying up when Nkem's phone began ringing. It was on the nightstand where he had left it to go take a shower in the bathroom.

I picked up the phone, intending to hand it to him in the bathroom, but the name it was saved with piqued my curiosity, leaving me eager to know who it was.

"Dagger..." I muttered silently. Who could bear the name "Dagger" in an oil company, I wondered to myself.

I couldn't resist the turmoil as it piqued my curiosity even more, making me surreptitiously join the call before handing the phone over to him.

"Nkem, where are the goods?" a deep, bass voice almost frightened me, yelled, with fury evident in his tone.

"We couldn't get it ready due to the weather. My boys thought it would be a bad idea to work in the rain because something may go wrong, and it was understandable by me. I'll deliver it tonight, I promise," Nkem replied with a mixture of calm and unease, making me ponder, "So he can be this calm to people," in my thoughts.

Ever since the day I caught Nkem cheating on me and threatened to leave my marriage, but my father held me back, Nkem has completely turned into my nightmare. He beats me over every slight mistake, not minding that I'm pregnant with his only child. My stomach crumbled at the mention of his name. I literally thought of divorcing him without my father's approval, since whenever I call him to complain about what Nkem is doing to me, his best and only advice is to tell me to manage. Honestly, I'm not a manager, so I was really tired of waiting, but I just had to take heart and endure since I'm already pregnant for him, and being a homeless pregnant lady is not what I wish for.

I was about to drop the phone, believing it was just an official call with someone who had a weird name, before I heard the man uttering another name that rang in my ears.

"The girl is ready, it's just to clean her up that's left."

What does he mean by "the girl is ready"? Clean her up? How?

The words couldn't stop echoing in my head all day, making me eager to uncover the truth.

I decided to give up on spying on Nkem over 2 weeks ago since I couldn't find out anything weird about him, but his secretive nature kept dragging my attention to uncover what he's hiding. However, I found nothing unusual about him, so I was forced to believe he's indeed working in an oil company.

Maybe the girl he's talking about is just one of his concubines, I convinced myself to believe it's nothing serious. But why did the man refer to her as "goods"? What does it mean his boys couldn't work because it was raining?

Does this mean he's running a secret prostitution business or he's indeed involved in organ harvesting? No, Sele, please stop thinking too negatively. I know you don't like him, and he doesn't like you either, but he can't be that bad. A flicker of assurance washed over me.

It was a few minutes past 8 pm, and Nkem was getting ready for work. I prepared white rice and red stew for him to eat for dinner.

I sat at the dining table watching him eat his food as usual when suddenly, a wave of the conversation I overheard him have in the morning piqued my memory, making my stomach crumble at the thought.

"You can actually find out yourself," I muttered to myself, gripped by my thoughts. "Yes, I'm doing this," I concluded.

Desperate to uncover the truth, I decided to follow Nkem to his office but as a spy, agreeing within myself that if I found out nothing, I'd have to back off on spying on him as it's of no use. But if I found out something suspicious, I'm leaving this house before the break of dawn.

I wore my pajamas and hair bonnet as usual, pretending I'm about to sleep while I bolted the door as I waved Nkem goodbye.

I promptly took off the pajamas, opting for my black round neck polo and drawstring trousers that I had already sorted out.

I ordered a taxi the moment he called me to come and bolt the door. Thankfully, it didn't take too long to arrive.

I got into the taxi, instructing the driver to follow the Mercedes-Benz my husband was driving.

The driver hesitated, saying that it would be too much risk for him, and moreover, it's against the rules of his company to chase after another vehicle.

"Come on, it's my husband's car I'm following. Besides, do you think a pregnant woman like me would be ready for any dirty business by this time of the day?" I said with a pleading tone, rubbing my baby bump so he could reconsider and follow him.

"I'll just drop you wherever the car stops without waiting for you to finish and bring you back," he said with a stern but serious tone.

I took a moment to think it over before answering him, "Okay, that's fine by me. I'll book another taxi to take me back home."

"Okay, but you'll have to triple the usual payment, or else I'm not going," he attempted to stop the car.

Well, I wasn't surprised. It's usual for every business person; the more desperate, the higher the cost.

"Okay, okay. Fine, I'll pay you triple, please don't stop the car," I replied rapidly so we wouldn't lose him.

He smirked upon hearing how much I offered to pay him. "Okay, fine," he replied as he started to concentrate on his drive, following Nkem's car closely.

"Why are you so desperate to trace your husband's car by this time of the day, ma'am? Hope all is well?" he asked, breaking the long silence.

"It's none of your business. Concentrate on your drive," I replied angrily, with the sense that people just like to interfere in others' privacy.

"This place doesn't look like a company," I muttered with a barely audible tone, as Nkem's car stopped moving in a place that looked like a construction site, with lots of containers. It was more like a container terminal with incomplete buildings.

"Madam, please pay me my money fast and come down," the driver said upon seeing my husband Nkem come down from his car to enter the site, his tone frightened.

"Okay," I replied with a cold and calm tone, as I was frightened as well.

I followed Nkem closely, hiding behind the containers, frightened and desperate to see what happens next.

"Welcome, boss," some five boys came out from one of the containers that was well designed and structured like a house.
I could tell they lived there upon seeing electricity lights and a bed.

"Where's the girl?" he asked with a fury-laden tone. "We need to deliver it tonight because the man has been bugging me."

"Okay, boss, let's quickly clean her up," one of the boys replied, opting inside as if he forgot something.

"Yes, the moment I've been waiting for has finally arrived," I muttered to myself in my thoughts.

They all moved together to another container that wasn't attached to theirs. It was amidst various containers, and I could tell that this one looked different as it had two tiny windows and a beam of light.

Thank goodness this place has a lot of shades so it wasn't hard for me to turn from one shade to another, tiptoeing eagerly to uncover the true potential of Nkem because obviously, this place doesn't look anything like an oil company.

I couldn't help but gasp, petrified, as I saw lots of people in the container trying to scream, but their mouths were covered with black duct tapes the moment the container was opened.