Chapter II: The Family Business

01x02 Wendigo

It had been a week since Jessica's death. Sam still felt the pain of losing his love while his siblings tried to be there for him and look for the demon.

After the past week, they decided to continue searching for their father. Knowing he would have the answer they needed.

They were driving to Black Water Ridge, the coordinates John had left them; Sam and Dean sat in the front seats while Quinn sat in the back, writing in her journal.

Sam was asleep while Dean drove the car. Quinn occasionally looked up from her journal to check on her older brother. Dean noticed this as he scanned his rearview and saw her looking at Sam.

"He's alive and breathing, Q. You don't have to keep watching over him like a hawk," Dean said.

"Dean, he just witnessed the woman he loved die a week ago and has been unusually calm and focused on catching the thing that killed her. I'm worried he will let all his anger out soon, and not in a fun way," Quinn told Dean. Dean said nothing in reply and continued to drive until Sam shot up out of his dream.

"You okay?" Dean asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine,"

"Another nightmare?" Quinn asked. Sam cleared his throat and avoided the question.

"Want to drive for a while?" Dean asked, making both of his siblings look at him in bewilderment.

"Are you high right now? Or are you running a fever?" Quinn asked as she reached out to place her hand on Dean's forehead. Sam laughs lightly at her reaction while Dean swats her hand away.

"In your whole life, you never once asked either of us that," Sam said, gesturing to himself and their sister.

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind," Dean said.

"Can I - -"

"No!" Both brothers cut Quinn off.

"Never again!" Dean said.

"Come on! I wasn't that bad!" Quinn objected.

"Says the girl that crashed into a Stop sign," Sam retorted.

"Whatever, jerks."

"Look, guys, you're worried about me. I get it. And thank you both, but I'm perfectly okay."

Dean hummed in disbelief at his younger brother.

"Okay, but when you're done lying, we're here for you," Quinn said, nudging Dean to support her.

"Uh, yeah, what she said," Dean coughed awkwardly, causing Quinn to give him a bitch face.

"All right," Sam said, picking up a map and stopping his siblings from bickering before it began. "Where are we?"

"We're just outside of Grand Junction," Dean answered.

"You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon."

"Sam, we dug around there for a week and found nothing," Quinn said.

"She's right. If you want to find the thing that killed Jessica..." Dean trailed off.

"We got to find Dad first," Sam finished Dean's sentence.

"Dad disappearing, and this thing showing up after 20 years? It's no coincidence," Dean said.