007

Kade was brought into another room, with the rest of his now dwindling class. A smaller classroom with about forty white desks spread out in rows. Kade and Sky quickly got seats next to each other.

Out of the over 200 that entered, only 34 remained. Kade had kept fighting for a spot on the top five ranks. Kaito had cemented himself as Number One, being the best in every subject of training. Sky had moved up too, she was now in the low twenties about to break into the teens.

Sky and Kade had grown older, and have stayed together through all of their training. They hung out every night and talked to each other every chance they got. Kade still cared for Sky more than anything, and he felt like that would never change. And Sky has cared for Kade if not equally but much more.

Keller walked in, looking a bit older. He stood at attention in front of the class, the leaderboard rankings hidden behind him on the wall.

"You have all reached the age of sixteen," Keller started. "Congratulations on getting this far in. I know you've lost a lot of good friends on the way, but this class has by far the most Initiates to reach age sixteen ever. In my class, we had just three. Those other two died in the first week of real combat, while I am here today to teach new Meka Pilots. And another congratulations... on passing Phase Two."

The class quickly looked around at each other. Sky and Kade shared a glance, while secretly holding hands under their desk.

"Now begins Phase Three," Keller said dramatically. "It's not eight years long like the rest of your training. Instead it's a one day trial. You each take turns, running through a course designed to emulate the fatigue and quick thinking of combat. You will have three tasks. First is a fighting task. You will have to fight a realistic enemy without taking fatal damage to you or your Meka. Two, you must run, and find your way to the graduation ceremony room. A room where you never have been close to. Once you enter the graduation room, your time will end. And you will find your final rankings and graduate."

Kaito raised his hand, and Keller pointed to him. "Sir you said three tasks. But only explained two."

"Good job," Keller nodded. "While you are doing your third tasks, you will randomly get asked a question. If you get the question right, you will get bonus points. If you get it wrong, you will receive a shock to emulate a hit in combat, and lose points. Rest up, the trials begin first thing tomorrow. An Orderly will retrieve you so you can start your tests. Good luck Initiates." Keller nodded his head, then walked out of the room.

The class quickly erupted into chatter as soon as Keller left.

"Kade," Sky said nervously. "That means... tomorrow could be the last day we see each other."

"I know..." Kade said. "Are you coming over tonight?"

"Of course," Sky nodded. "I have something to show you."

Later that night, Sky took longer than usual to get to Kade's room. Then he heard their knock and quickly replied. Sky came in quickly and hugged him tightly. They embraced for what felt like an hour, but must have only been seconds to Kade.

"What did you want to show me?" Kade asked, as they still embraced each other.

"Oh right!" Sky said and pulled away. Instantly they both felt like they lost a part of themselves. She went to his door and opened it. "It's out here." She said with a smirk.

Sky gripped his hand, and led Kade through turns and turns of hallways. So much running he thought Sky my dropped dead from exhaustion. But Kade was fine, years of stamina training has prepared him for intense long runs. So there wasn't even a bead of sweat on his brow.