Chapter 3: Maze?

(a/n: hiiiii :)) it's me, I couldn't wait to publish another chapter, so here you are!! Bit of a long one, finally. Hope you enjoyyy)

The celebration was soon cut short by the sound of screeching coming from the maze

"What was that.." I asked, frightened.
"Shh, listen," Newt said, holding up a finger to his mouth

The sound of stone dragging and clicking could be heard all around us.
"That's the maze, changing. It changes every night." Minho explained.
"How is that even possible?" I said.
"You can ask the people who put us in here if you ever meet the bastards."
"Listen, the truth is.. the runners are the only ones who know what's out there. if they don't make it back before those doors close... then they are stuck out there for the night."
"And no one has ever survived a night in the maze," Newt said with a trace of sadness on his face.

I looked at the walls, examining them carefully, vines grew everywhere clinging to the walls. I'm curious why everything felt so familiar. Like I've been here before. I couldn't shake off the feeling that I knew these people before.

"Right, that's enough questions for one night, come on. You're supposed to be the guest of honor,
Let me show you around." Newt stood up, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and guiding me towards the group of boys, pointing at certain people.

"Hey! You're just gonna hog the pretty girl all to yourself!?" Minho shouted from behind us.

"Those are the builders, tough lot, They're very good with their hands, but not a lot going on upstairs."

"And then we got Winston... he's the Keeper of the Slicers. He enjoys his job, way too much..." Newt said with a slight hint of disgust on his face.

"And we got two med-jacks, Clint and Jeff. They spend most of their time bandaging up the slicers."
They both waved at me and smiled. They seemed friendly.

After a long night, I found myself drinking something they called Gally's recipe. I assumed it was alcohol after feeling the burning in my throat. I was at the log again. There, Minho was sitting beside me, staring up at the stars.

"Hey, Minho...do you think we'll find a way out here?" I asked, scooting closer to the boy. Feeling drowsy from tiredness, but it was probably the alcohol.
"I hope so," he said, not wanting to say anything more. he looked over at me, and our eyes met. After what seemed like hours, he looked back up, flustered.

"You're really pretty greenie. It's been a while since I've seen someone who looked like me. This place is filled to the brim with white boys. Maybe the Creators sent you here because we're totallyyyy meant to be." He joked, rolling his eyes as he looked back at me.

I laughed as I wrapped my arms around his, leaning on his shoulder
"I don't know, maybe you're right." I smiled.
Sleep soon caught up to me as my eyes shut, falling asleep on the boy's shoulder.

Dreaming

"Subject A10, you are the solution. do not fail them. You are their key. You need to remember."
Lights flashed all around her. She was unable to move

You need to remember.
She saw herself on a chair, almost like the ones they use in the dentist's office. They were tubes in her, extracting some liquid from her. She was surrounded by multiple people in white coats. writing down something on their clipboard.

A woman with blonde hair, her hair tied up neatly, leaned down and tucked her hair to the side. whispering something in her ear.

Always remember, wicked is good.

Everything is gonna change once he arrives.
she heard herself say that. how is that possible? What does she have to do with these people? what did they mean she was the key?

She didn't have time to think about it, as she jolted awake, falling from her hammock and landing beside the still-sleeping chubby boy.
"Ow.." she groaned in pain.
The boy's eyes fluttered open as he said "You're awake, Minho carried you here. I kept watch all night til everyone fell asleep to make sure no one tried anything while you were sleeping" he yawned.

A warm feeling washed all over me as I smiled,
"Thank you, Chuckie. You're the best." I pulled the sleeping bag over him to cover his arms, pushing his hair away from his face. "It's still early. Get some sleep," I said as I walked away, finding somewhere I could sit and think about the weird dream I just had.

"Mei." I looked over to the source of the voice, it was Newt. "Follow me." he took my hand in his and pulled me away to the rooftop of the homestead.

"It's peaceful isn't it?" he looked over at the sleeping glade, still my hand in his. I hummed in agreement as I examined the blonde boy in front of me. He's cute. Every time I was around him, I felt calm and warm, like everything was gonna be okay. I felt my stomach turn as I felt his hand intertwine with mine.

"Oh shuck, I'm sorry, I didn't notice I was still holding your hand." He pulled away, looking slightly pink and flustered. I giggled at his action and took his hand in mine.

"Alby said no one was to touch you but look at me, second in command breaking the rules." he smiled sheepishly as he rubbed his thumb on my hand, cute, I thought to myself.

"This week, you start trying out for different jobs around the glade, find whichever one suits you best, then the keepers decide which one you're good at, and that's that," he explained, still looking at the view.

"What if I want to be a runner?"