Chapter 53 - Slumber

"Ash..? Ash!" Wake up"

Aria gently shook the sleeping, drooling Flareon, whispering harshly into his ear without being too loud. Ash mumbled quietly as he came to, eyes fluttering open as he slowly lifted his hanging head. His back and his neck ached a little, but it would fade by evening.

Ash looked over towards Aria with a sleepy glare, partially mad at himself for sleeping in such a bad position, and partially irritated with Aria for waking him up, though he was somewhat used to that.

"..What..? What is it..?"

Once Aria saw that she had Ash's attention, she turned her gaze towards Tempest's bed, pointing to it with one paw while holding a digit up to her lips with the other, telling Ash to keep quiet.

Cocking his head to the side, Ash sat upright, craning his neck to see over the edge of the mattress. As soon as he saw what Aria was pointing towards, his eyes flew wide open, jaw dropped in shock. He couldn't believe it.

Vanessa was out like a Snorlax, having snuggled herself right up to Tempest after managing to move herself from one bed to the other. Ash looked at Aria, then back to his sister, then Aria again, unable to speak even a word. He was wide awake now.

"I know! I couldn't believe it either!" Aria whispered, flailing her paws around excitedly.

Ash wasn't sure what to think. Vanessa never even snuggled up to him if they slept in the same bed, save when they were younger. She had grown a lot less clingy as she got older, but she still was a very affectionate pokemon when she felt safe and happy.

"Is this real? Am I even awake?!"

Aria began to panic as Ash's voice began to rise, quickly leaning over and pressing a paw over his maw to shut him up, hissing at him.

"Shhh! Don't wake her up!" Aria whispered harshly. Ash complied immediately and shut his trap, sitting fully upright to show he was controlling himself. Both eeveelutions quietly looked towards the sleeping pokemon again, unable to stop smiling at the sight.

"Why do they look so.. cute..?" Ash muttered.

"Because we've never seen Vanessa look this comfortable before. Tempest is also.. admittedly kind of adorable.."

Ash raised an eyebrow with amusement, turning his gaze over towards the Espeon, a huge smirk on his face.

"Oooh?~ What makes you say that?"

Aria quickly became flustered, waving her paws in front of her, waving away any crude ideas Ash may have had.

"N-No no, not in that kind of way! Adorable in the same sense that Vanessa is.. he's just.. I don't really know how to explain it-"

"Aria, do you just think that everyone who's shorter than you is adorable?"

Aria's eyes went wide, face painted with shock. Ash's smirk grew tenfold in smugness as he watched the Espeon shyly press her paws together, fidgeting as she looked away from him.

"I-.. well-.. I-It's not just because he's short.."

Ash was trying not to laugh. For a Jolteon, Tempest was pretty small, but he didn't think that Aria would find him cute.

"Arceus, I can't believe you!" Ash said teasingly. He very swiftly regretted his words, grunting as he received a hearty punch to the shoulder. The Flareon quickly recoiled. Her face was red and her ears were fuming, bearing her fangs as she growled at her partner.

"I may not have brought you into this world, but I can definitely erase you from it."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!! I won't-"