Eddie Diaz

As Eddie sat in one of the nicest Mexican restaurants in LA, listening to Marisol keep on going about some rumor mill that has been circulating her workplace, Eddie could not help but think.

"What the hell am I doing here?"

Eddie would rather spend his time with his son and Buck, bench-watching the Jurassic Park original trilogy. Because, "Dad! Nothing beats a classic!" and, "Come on, Eddie! Your son wants to be an archaeologist and bring back dinosaurs, let him dream big!"

Yet, here he was, wearing an uncomfortable shirt, in a restaurant that made him want to cringe. And for what? Because his family kept pushing him to get a girlfriend? Dios! It made him sound like a total douchebag.

The more dates Eddie had with Marisol, the more eager he felt for Buck to return to LA. Only two more days until his best friend gets back from Italy. Chris had made Eddie promise to take him to pick up his Bucky from the airport. Not that it had taken much convincing, as Eddie had missed Buck as much as his son.

Dios, how easy it would be to fall for Buck. He was the perfect partner and co-parent. Eddie's best friend and confidant. If soulmates existed, Eddie was 100% sure that Buck would be his. But soulmates could be platonic as well. And Eddie, unfortunately, was straight.

Eddie might not have found a romantic spouse in Buck, but he found the perfect partner- as a firefighter, as a best friend, as a second parent for his son. Hell, Eddie had even taken Chris to Buck when his son started asking questions about the LGBTQ+ community. The fragile look of awe Buck had given Eddie that day was more than worthy. Eddie's heart had gone all warm as he had watched Buck answer all of Chris's inquiries with patience and gentleness. Eddie had not even thought of Hen as a possible candidate, had gone straight to Buck. Because there was not one person Eddie trusted more with his son than Buck.

Eddie knew he had been luckier than most. Even after war, his issues with his parents, and being a widower, Eddie had a supportive family, a job that he loved, a wonderful son, and the best of best friends, Buck. He had also found and married the love of his life, no matter how bad he had screwed things with Shannon.

Eddie's main objective in dating was to find a partner that would bring stability to his home life, love Chris as much as Eddie did. Someone who Chris would be comfortable with and made Eddie happy. Maybe Eddie should stop going out on dates because his family wanted him to move on. Eddie knew he had to end this farce tonight. He had learned with Ana how to drag things. Frank had been helping him see that everyone mourned at their own time. Chris and Eddie were great; they did not need another mom or wife. Eddie knew that he would get an earful from Tía Pepa for letting another wife-material woman go. And as much as Eddie knew she was doing this for him, he did not care. Eddie was not ready to move on, and Frank assured him it was okay. Eddie will focus on his mental health and son and best friend first. Maybe he'll get married one day, maybe he won't. He was in no rush.

The dinner lingered on much longer than Eddie would have liked. At least the food was delicious. He then drove Marisol back to her home and accepted the invitation inside for coffee. The conversation that followed was uncomfortable. Eddie stayed silent as Marisol cursed him in Spanish; he deserved it.

The ride back home was a tiring one. Eddie must have been more exhausted than he had thought because instead of seeing his Tía Pepa's car in the driveway, it was Buck's Jeep that welcomed him home.

What the... why was Buck back early? It did not really matter, as joy filled Eddie. He eagerly got out of his car and skipped the steps to the door. The moment he entered his house, he was met by Buck. Eddie closed in the familiar arms, his eyes and breathed in the familiar scent of Buck's shampoo, as he clung to his best friend so hard.