CHAPTER I - A New Adventure

Haoyu:

The moonlit night sky was clear. The stone pavement shone greyish-gold, illuminated by the lanterns burning on every window. Snow gently flecked from above, making them look like falling fire sparks. ' Thump, thump,' went my light footsteps as I ran barefoot in the cold. I slightly cringed as my foot touched the snow, leaving the more affable stone road. I entered the dark and dismal forest, the tall pine trees towering above me. I looked up, seeing the beams of the full moon, trying to find a way through the dark branches and needles of the trees. I continued running, my whole body shaking. There was nothing but deafening silence- all I could hear were my breathing and the scrunching of the snow on my every step. I clutched the parcel of dinner in my arms, feeling subtle warmth. I imagined my father's face smiling as he opened them: a part of our feast since he won't come home. He still had to work as a penitentiary guard, even during the holidays. I ran faster, eager to see him once again. At long last, I arrived at the tall steel gates, confused to see them wide open. I looked for the gates' guard but to no luck. I walked on steadily and slowly. Where are the torches? I asked myself, hoping to find light and warmth. I squinted in the dark. Then I concluded I wasn't alone. A tall, dark figure was going down the underground caves' stairs. I hid behind a large rock as the creature glanced behind him. His eyes glowed bright crimson in the dark. I covered my mouth with my paws, trying to compose myself. It grew darker as the moon hid behind a great grey cloud, leaving me to my blind senses. The following minutes became muddled in my mind. I heard painful screams and a comical, wicked laugh. I perceived the creature again, going up the stairs, a queer sound of metal grinding on stone and an ear-splitting hiss. I sat up behind my hiding place and observed. It was still dim, and I could scarcely make out anything. But now he wasn't alone- I assumed he had a clan of convicts with him. I heard him talk, voice deeply resonant and cracked. He was having a meeting with the jailbirds. I perked up my ears to listen, only to hear muffled voices. My heart pounded as I heard the words "attack," "Yuanjia village," "Jīnshǔ village," "target and kill," and " Valley of Peace." They all laughed as the tall creature said, "Deceive." Tears began to prick my eyes. I sniffled as my whole body began to tremble uncontrollably. Because of the ache and chilliness, or maybe because of anxiety, I shook and knew not why. The packet slipped out of my clasp. I held out my arms to catch it, but I was too slow. The parcel fell, to my great horror, clattering loudly on the snow, blowing my cover. I crouched behind the rock, embracing myself, getting ready for the worst possible thing. I heard footsteps getting nearer and nearer. I shut my eyes tight, hot wet tears rolling down my cheeks. I clenched my tiny fists, but what could I possibly do? I'm merely a child.

The moon let out a beam through the clouds as the dark shadows of the bandits surrounded me, silhouetted by the silver gleams of the moon. I looked up, trying to get a glimpse of their faces, but all I could see were ghostly shadows towering above me.

"Hey, it's just a little kid," one of the voices said. "What are you doing here, boy?"

Paralyzed, I didn't speak. I stared up at the figures as they ooh-ed and coo-ed at me.

"He looks like he just woke up," said one of the voices. "Did you, little guy? Your eyes look puffy."

I blinked. Suddenly, the tall, dark creature stepped in front, kneeling beside me until we were level. Its scarlet eyes glowed brightly under the shadow of its black hood. I felt a rough paw patting my head.

"Say, my boy, did you hear anything we said?" he asked with a raspy voice.

I stayed silent, keeping my lips shut. I hear my mother's voice whispering, 'Never lie.' I didn't want to tell the truth, so I kept quiet. I overheard their plans, but if they knew I did, they might kill me.