CHAPTER XI, B - Sacrifice

'Promise me one thing: Whatever happens to me, don't try and kill yourself.'

'Why would I try and kill myself?'

'Because I know you. You have a tendency to. Now, promise me!'

'Fine, I promise.'

. . .

The sound of gongs rang in her ears, echoing sharply through her mind. Tigress slowly opened her eyes as her brain flashed a hazy image in front of her. Even though the stinging pain, she pried her eyes open, eager to know what was happening.

A golden yin-yang emblem blazed before her eyes, spinning slowly. A yin-yang, but with only the yang. Petals swirled all around in a hypnotic way, catching the golden light of the symbol.

Tigress was still inside the volcano, with Po healing her with his chi. She could still feel the stinging pain in her arm, but it was slowly fading away. She turned to look to her left, seeing Po. His eyes were closed, and his right paw outreached, shone with a bright light. Black smoke rose from her left arm and ascended, slowly completing the yin side of the emblem.

'Tigress,' Po said without opening his eyes. His voice seemed louder and resonant - as if three other Po's said it. 'Don't move or freak out. I know what I'm doing.'

The yin-yang sign glowed brighter as it completed. The sound of gongs in Tigress' ears rang louder. The emblem spun faster, then finally exploded, creating a force that pushed Po against a wall and shook the volcano. The energy reverberated around the cave.

Tigress gasped as she pulled herself up. How long had she been holding her breath? She ran towards Po and tried to wake him up. But he never responded to her pleas.

The cave shook, and stalactites began to fall, crushing anything under it.

Tigress stood up slowly, with the panda leaning on her. 'Let's go. I'm not leaving without you.'

. . .

It took me days to finally find myself. All those times I travelled back to the Valley of Peace, I spent blaming myself for what had happened. I had put my friend in danger, causing him to use his chi on me. And now? I'm not even sure he's alive.

For weeks, our last conversation echoed in my mind.

I wish I'd never promised. I'd kill myself if it meant our positions would just, sigh, miraculously swap. I should be in Po's state. I should be dead. But I'm not, aren't I? And I can't do anything about it.

For the following week, I felt lost in my mind. The weight of guilt I bore wearily on my shoulders.

I was angry at myself.

I spent days taking out my bitterness in the training hall - because that was the only way I knew how to deal with rage and pain. And through those days, I learned an important thing: I used to be like this. Training, pushing my boundaries, and letting my anger out through every punch and every strike.

I used to be like this. It all changed when he came. All those years, I felt complete even when I'm by myself.

But now, I feel completely, utterly lost.

Was it because of him?

. . .

'So? How's the Dragon Warrior?' Rei Zhan asked.

Tigress realised she had been looking at the ground blankly for too long, trying to think of what to say. She re-knitted her brows. 'I don't want to talk about it.'

'Is he... Did he...?'

'He's alive, thankfully.'

Rei Zhan exhaled, clearly relieved.

They both stood in awkward silence, pondering if they should talk.

'So-' they both said in unison.

'You talk first,' the panther offered.

'Where are you heading to?' Tigress asked without any further arguments.

He chuckled. 'I was just about to ask you that. But since you asked first, the answer is, I honestly have no idea. Now you.'

'I'm going back to the Valley of Peace since I'm done with my business here,' she replied dryly.

'Valley of Peace,' Rei echoed, 'sounds like a good place to start over. Oh...! Maybe I - I just had a nice idea.'

Tigress looked behind her, hoping he wasn't thinking of anything stupid.

'Maybe I could tag around... behind you?' He paused. "Not that I would totally like it to be with you, you're scowling and glaring and ignoring me and stuff, but...' he started speaking fast, 'it's so I wouldn't lose my way since I don't know the route. And with the fact that you already know I'm very prone to be manipulated by evil guys, and with you near, you'd be able to stop me before I create any major damage that could inflict injuries, start a mess, take lives, etcetera.'

Tigress squinted her eyes, her mind reeling, barely able to take any of the information Rei Zhan just stated. Half of what he blabbered about didn't even make sense. She rolled her eyes, sighing out of total exasperation.

Tigress started walking towards the cliff's edge. Rei Zhan frowned. 'I guess she's too annoyed with me.'

The striped feline looked behind her, 'Are you coming?'

The panther's eyes lit up.

'Yeah.'

. . .

Rei Zhan reluctantly briskly walked beside Tigress. She had been quiet since they left. Not a word nor a whisper came from her. Her swift tread was silent, and her breathing was peaceful. The silence was deafening him.

'Don't you want to...'

Tigress shot him a look, stopping him short. 'If you want to go to the Valley with me, we've got to set some rules,' she stated.

'What?'

'Rule number one, no talking. Rule number two, walk five meters away from me. Rule number three, no snack stops. Do you understand?' Her voice was strict and straightforward.

'Yes, ma'am.'

. . .

Yes, I did abide by the rules. I didn't talk. I walked five meters away from Master Tigress. And, yeah, there were no snack stops. But that only lasted a few hours because the silence was killing me. I know. I've been in prison for the past ten years, but it's my first time being free. I at least want someone to talk to.

Besides, I felt something was up. What did happen to Master Po?

'So you were serious about rule number one,' I said.

'Of course - does it look like I was kidding?' she snapped with a slight growl.

The Kung Fu Master was slightly younger and smaller than I am though she was strong enough to shred me like cheese. I find her intimidating, to say the least. But that wouldn't stop me from getting one decent conversation. I needed answers.

'So how would you describe the Valley of Peace?' I asked.

'It's peaceful.'

Yes, of course, she would say that.

'Well, that's how the valley got its name, I guess.' I paused for a full minute. 'Peaceful. Like you?'

Tigress smirked, huffing. 'Negative. I'm only trying to contain myself right now, but once I snap, I turn into a war freak. If you don't want that to happen, well, you better not annoy me. I'm going through some stuff - I don't have the certain person I need most - so please be considerate.'

'You should be considerate. You're not the only one hurt, okay? I am, too. I lost my sister. And, heck, it sucks. That is why I'm trying to talk to you. Whatever you're feeling, you shouldn't keep it in.'

For the first time, Master Tigress stopped in her tracks. I could hear her seething breath. Was she crying?

'You're right.'