Chapter 4

I looked at the ornamental high ceilings of the corridor while I ambled my way in search of the chambers which I will now share with Arjun. After my mini emotional breakdown, Draupadi had excused me for the night. 

I felt my cheeks sear. 

My delight at her acceptance had dampened a little at the face of her obvious grief but I could not fault her for that. For now, everyone seemed to be at peace and that was all I could expect currently. 

I smiled dreamily, thinking back to my conversation with Panchali. 

She had made me sit by her at the divan, mirroring Kunti Maa and fixed my chudamani properly from where it had come a little lose on my vigorous leap at embracing her, a few seconds prior. 

"And whose brilliant idea was it to dress you up like this? Like a milkmaid?", she had asked, eyes twinkling. 

"I am the sister of a cowherd after all Maharani", I had answered back feigning innocence. A gentle swat to the back of my head by my newly deemed elder sister made me rethink my tendency of smart mouthing everyone. 

She didn't look angry though, only amused. 

"Go and change back to something nicer. And be ready for the puja tomorrow. All newlyweds are required to perform the Shiva-Shakti puja at dawn. Matashree and I will guide you."

I had nodded and folded my hands again, preparing to leave, only for her to clasp my joined hands and shook her head mildly. 

"You are my little sister now. Call me Jiji and throw all the formalities aside."

I had grinned then and swiftly stood up only to bend down and touch her feet, much to her startlement. 

"Then bless me Jiji as I start this new chapter of my life."

Her words had been a little shaky as her hand rested on my head slowly. 

"Saubhagyavati bhava my dear Subhadra, let your life be full of joy and prosperity. Welcome to Indraprastha."

Lost in the thoughts of the evening, I hardly saw a pair of running feet as two tiny bodies crashed against me, throwing me back a few steps slightly, as I held the adjacent pillar for balance, startled. 

"Oh!"

"Sorry!"

"Bhrata, this is why we shouldn't run in corridors."

"Stop parroting after Maa, Shatanik."

"You stop. Now we have hurt someone."

"Uff!"

I looked wide eyed at the sudden cacophony of chirping words shot by my two little assailants as they glared at each other with their equally little hands, balled on their hips. 

"Excuse me, my dear ones. Where are you both running off to?"

They looked up at me in frightening synchrony as if suddenly realising the presence of another person, their eyes saucer shaped. I could instantly recognize my brothers in law and Draupadi's features mixing perfectly to form those beautifully cherubic faces. 

"Oh! Sorry... who are...you?"

The older one asked, frowning in suspicion, which may have looked severe on his father's face but ended up making the little boy look cuter, if that was even possible. In an endearing move, he had shielded his younger brother, who now peeped at me curiously from over his shoulder. 

"I am Yadavi Subhadra my dear princes. I think, I am your aunt", I answered trying to stifle a burst of giggles as the two boys' eyes rounded in surprise, again. And with a move which surprised me and twin shouts of glee, they launched themselves at me, holding onto the blue fabric of my saree in their pretty solid fists as both attempted to hug my legs.