Lurking in the Dark

We were passing the towering deserted mansion at dusk when an eerie air filled us with uneasy emotions of fear and curiosity. My friend and I were taking a light walk after the party and thought visiting this place on Halloween might be fun. 

My ankle-length cape was the only thing keeping me warm while ice-cold winds blew right through me. My fake vampire teeth were getting annoying so I took them out. Her costume had a nice suede coat and a perfect witch's hat. It flew off her head and a gush of wind hit us. I turned around to grab it as it tried to escape my grasp.

"AHHHHHH!!!!!" 

I turned with utter shock and saw my friend being dragged along the floor by creaky crooked vines. She struggled and strained against her confines. They covered her mouth and hauled her into the house swiftly. I tried to catch her but scarred my knee as another twig looped around my foot and tripped me. Somehow my press-on nails were able to cut it before it grew. 

I had to save her.

Nasty old branches flung at me from every angle. They creaked and whined and plunged towards me. A dense haze blinded me from seeing the woody chains that desperately leapt in my way. My instincts guided me as I made it to the towering doorway that hid unknown terrors.

I barge in, exhausted yet determined to save my best friend.