CHAPTER VII

The lively and boisterous atmosphere of the Old Elm tavern was in full swing. Two old men in checkered shirts and canvas trousers entertained the patrons with folk songs from a small stage next to the counter: one singing, the other playing the accordion. Wine flowed freely, and every table was occupied. Rubicund and corpulent faces of laborers and peasants devoured lamb chops and plates of tagliatelle alla boscaiola, while bustling waitresses darted between them with carafes and trays. The warm, subdued glow of kerosene lanterns cast a cozy ambiance, and the wood of benches, tables, walls, and floors had absorbed over time the aromas of the dishes prepared daily. A stuffed deer head hung conspicuously above the cash register.

Anker entered with a scowling expression, sharply contrasting with the tavern's cheerful mood. Viryl, on the other hand, was at ease and eager to sink his teeth into a piece of meat and bring the day to a satisfying end.

A waitress, who had just finished taking orders, approached the newcomers. She informed Anker and Viryl that the tavern was full and that, since they had not made a reservation, they would have to wait for a table to become available. Anker quickly scanned the room for Geltram, but to no avail. However, he noticed Kalira and Bersept seated at a half-empty rectangular table that could seat eight or ten people, engrossed in devouring a leg of lamb with roasted potatoes.

«We're with them,» Anker informed the waitress, pointing to the knights.

«Oh, of course, how could I not have thought about it!» exclaimed the waitress, fixing Anker's uniform collar with a dazed expression. «Please, make yourselves comfortable, I'll lead the way.»

****

«Well, well, Madja, I didn't realize you were growing wrinkles, a white beard and a cock!» exclaimed Bersept, greeting the newcomers with this vulgar remark.

«Madja is dead.» Anker replied, annoyed.

«Oh, really?» Kalira responded, genuinely surprised but without a shred of compassion in her voice. «We're dropping like flies, haven't they been a bit harsh on us?»

«Another lady I'd like to have smashed bites the dust.» Bersept said, miming the act of wiping away tears.

«Get lost, you cretin! You would've never had a chance with her. Madja would never have messed around with a calf like you. The lady was happily engaged to Romelion of Sperlarbia, a true gentleman. What could you have done about it, you peasant?»

«At least let me dream.»

Viryl and Anker had sat on the bench opposite the pair of knights and watched them in silence, not amused.

«But tell us, Anker, who is this charming gentleman you're accompanying?» Kalira asked with a wink.

Viryl remained silent but gave Kalira a thorough once-over. A toned and robust girl with short light brown hair and freckles. Sharp ice-cold eyes. To a man his age, she was nothing more than a psychopathic little girl, one to be kept away like the plague. But he couldn't deny that her cruel and dissolute gaze unsettled him.

«He's Viryl of Zelfiria, the one who was originally supposed to be our target. However, we too, like Geltram's group, were attacked before we could complete the mission." Anker said, deliberately omitting the details of the story.

«Oh, I see. So you've joined forces for the time being. I imagine then that the final duel for your Exoplion will be with him. But you're not the type to kill a defeated enemy, Anker. Call me when you don't need him anymore. It's a pleasant refusal, I'd love to cut his throat and savor his warm blood.» Kalira said, licking her lips and staring Viryl in the eyes. Viryl couldn't help but let out a nervous chuckle. His appetite was getting spoiled.