Chapter 3

On arrival at the gravesite, Fred felt at home. Some people would find it terrifying to be here at night, but to Fred, it was tranquility.

This particular cemetery was secluded away from the roads, so it was especially quiet. The only sound that played in Fred's ear was crickets chirping. This was much better than walking through a crowded city.

Finding the burial plot proved to be rather difficult. The carved stones that marked a human life blended into each other. Fred was here a few months back, but the darkness was warping their perception of the area. Thankfully, there was no time limit. This cemetery was always open.

Some of the stones listed dates far behind the time that Beta's dad would have been alive.

Fred eventually found the plot after strolling around for about twenty minutes. It was a simple tombstone surrounded by beautiful flowers that Beta's mother often came to tend.

Standing over where he was buried made Fred feel the reality of the situation.

Dalton Senpai.

Beta's father.

This man was underneath them right now. Two decades ago the rotting corpse underneath was walking among the Earth. He had dreams and loved ones. These realities made Fred close to understanding why Beta was so sorrowful.

Fred had a blurry image of what he looked like. After all, the only record of him was pictures and verbal descriptions. They have never met him, Dalton was long gone before Fred came across Beta. Beta was about twelve years old when he passed.

From what they remembered of his appearance, Beta's looks came from Dalton. Both of their skin was slightly tan and had scruffy hair. What made them most similar was the facial hair that grew in the same place on their faces.

It was a unique feature only Beta seemed to take on. Alpha only could grow patches of hair on his chin and Senpai seemed to not be able to grow any.

Fred sighed, taking out the journal. They didn't bring anything to light it on fire because they could do so themselves by their own hands...

Yes, Fred was more than some psychic or magician. They were not even human. Beta was unaware of this, no human knew this.

There was no reason to tell Beta. Fred made a decision years ago that living as a human would be more fulfilling. After centuries of embracing their demonic identity, Fred saw holes forming in their heart. Even if humans were weak on the surface they were so much more powerful in other ways.

Fred was envious of this.

Staring down at the journal, Fred wondered if this would help Beta. He spent so much time writing here. Fred opened a page out of curiosity. Might as well, if the book was going to be destroyed forever anyway.

Fred flipped to a random page.

Hey Dad,

Today I ate peach cobbler. It was the bomb. I just wanted to tell you because I remembered how you hated it. I really don't understand why... Get your taste buds tested.

But hey...

What I miss most about you is your advice and how you always looked out for all of us. We are all doing ok but some days it's hard. Ya know?

I wonder...

Would you be happy with how we all grew up? Because... I think we're a lot different than how you expected.

I should stop wondering about that...

You are gone and I will never know.

Hey, at least I can just do what Alpha does and just imagine how you would think of me. That probably would be for the better.

Beta.

Fred pondered on the letter. Was burning this going to help Beta at all? Nothing else seemed to be working for him.

Beta was doing everything possible to feel better. Going to therapy, having healthier relationships, hobbies, eating better, and even exercising.

Fred knew that at the end of the day, none of those things was going to replace his father. Even if Fred never had a family themselves the love that families had for each other could be unexplainable. Unmatched.

Hell. Fred felt that with Beta.

These ponderings gave them an idea. This wasn't right, Fred could do so much more to help Beta. Twenty years ago they made it a goal to live as normally as possible. This goal made them give up spells and rituals that were Earth-shattering. Fred didn't mind giving up that goal tonight.

This idea that they had was going to make them, the best partner in all existence. It has also been long enough for Beta to find out truly who Fred was. Sure Beta's brother Alpha could give his husband a boat full of flowers.

But... could Alpha bring someone back from the dead?

Fred would think not.

Fred looked around scrolling the area. No soul around.

This. This was going to be the real solution to how he could help Beta be happier. Even if it was only temporarily. Beta could finally know how proud his dad was of him.

Of all of them.