𝖤𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍

"That little lover boy doesn't know what he's saying. They're probably building up the whole Star-crossed Lovers act for a chance at sponsors, cause they know they'll never get any on their own."

Cato was in my room after the interviews. I was brushing my hair and he was pacing back and forth. He was livid.

"I mean, I bet they don't even like each other. The second they get in that arena they won't be buddies, they'll quickly turn on each other!"

I stood up and faced him, I grabbed a hold of his arms and led him upstairs. We walked up to the roof, still in our interview outfits.

"You need some air." I say as we make it up there. He takes a few deep breaths and leans on the fence.

"Thanks."

We stood there in a comfortable silence. I sit on the railing and he joins me. When my feet dangle over the edge I contemplate the idea of jumping off and this all being over, when Cato saves me from my thoughts.

"I just think it's an act, a stupid act."

"It's a game Cato." I reply.

"Yeah, but you and me, like if we were to do something like that I could never. Because I could never fake a relationship, I can't fake feelings."

"What makes you so sure that they're faking it?"

He looks at me, "Cause I know real when I see it."

"Oh, you mean Alice Fletcher back home?"

"Huh? No she and I are long gone."

"How about Trenny Wint?"

"Broke up after a week."

"Daisy Butler?"

"I broke up with her."

"Man so you're always the heartbreaker aren't you?" I ask.

"I guess so."

We go back to silence.

"What about you?" Cato asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You said in your interview that there wasn't anyone."

"There isn't."

"But you want there to be?"

"You're dumb."

"Come on Clovie."

I take a deep breath, "Someday, god knows when. Someone will like me for me. If the day never comes, that's okay. But if that someone does, I'll fall for them."

Catos silent. "The real you?" He says looking at me.

"Yeah?"

"Like the person you were to your childhood friend?"

"How do you?-"

"How do you know all my past girlfriends?" He interrupts

"I guess I just noticed."

"Just noticed?"

"Okay Cato what are you?-"

"What are you talking about? One minute we're friends, the next you're giving me the cold shoulder. It's kinda hard to get past these mixed signals!" He yells.

"Mixed signals?"

"Yes. It's like one moment you hate me and then the next you might actually like me."

"Shut up Cato." I say, looking away from him. At this moment I really wanna jump off to avoid the conversation completely. I hate talking about feelings.