Chapter 13: The Storm Begins

The car stopped in front of Pranay's home. The large unopened gates loomed at Laia. It was snowing heavily now. The sky had turned dark and strong winds rattled the windows of their car. It didn't even look like it was noon now. 

Laia looked at Advik and she was surprised to find him looking at her as well. Under his intense stare, suddenly she felt shyness overcome her and she turned her eyes away. She could feel her cheeks heating up. The space between them suddenly grew warm. 

Jai cleared his throat from the backseat and joked, "So y'all planning on getting off the car anytime soon?"

Laia turned around and stared angrily at Jai but he just smiled back innocently at her. Then she turned around to look at Advik and heard him softly say, "I am not coming inside. I will just go back home."

"That's ridiculous, it's snowing heavily, you are coming inside," Laia said, her voice full of authority. 

Advik looked at her and smiled before again reiterating what he had said already, "No, maybe another time. I must leave now."

Just then, Jayesh, the man who had parked their car when they had first arrived at Paharkunj opened the large gates and walked outside hunched in the snowstorm and wearing a thick black jacket. The bright headlights of the car fell on him as he came around to Laia's side. 

Laia opened the door, but before stepping outside she looked at Advik and said with a tone of finality in her voice, "You are coming inside the house," before getting out and closing the door. 

That's what she told Jayesh but he looked troubled and perturbed upon hearing Laia's words. "Ma'am, Pranay sir won't approve of this," he said meekly. 

Laia had already felt that there was no love lost between Pranay and Advik. But no matter what, she couldn't let Advik go in this horrid weather. 

"It's snowing hard, there's no way he can get back home on foot. Driving in such weather is dangerous too. We somehow made it here. I am sure Pranay can make an exception for a few hours."

Jayesh still didn't seem convinced and Laia was getting frustrated standing out in the snow. The cold had begun seeping into her skin and she just wanted to get inside. 

"Pranay is a kind man, isn't he? I have known him since his childhood. Surely, he won't mind," Laia pleaded again but her voice contained a hint of stubbornness.  

She bent down in front of the car window and signaled to Advik who was still sitting inside to come out and into the house. With that, she walked right into the gates without paying any more attention to anyone. 

Entering the warm house made her sigh in relief. Just then Pranay entered the room from the hallway and immediately walked up toward her. He stood in front for a moment before hugging her. 

The action took aback Laia and she could say or do nothing but just stand with her arms splayed by her side. 

A moment later, he let her go but held her shoulders to say, "What's wrong with you? Why weren't you picking up your phone? There's a snowstorm going on outside and I was worried out of my mind."

"Uhh... I am fine, I guess I put the phone on silent accidentally," Laia said as she gently maneuvered her way out of his hold. 

"I called Advik too, but he didn't pick up as well," he said, irritation lacing his voice when he said Advik's name. Laia saw a frown forming on his lips when Advik entered through the doors after Jai and Jayesh. 

Pranay stared at the latter with angry eyes but Jayesh just looked down at the floor. His shoulders were hunched and he didn't speak a single word as he entered the room. 

Just as Pranay opened his mouth to say something, Laia interjected to clarify, "Actually, I wanted Advik to stay because it's heavily snowing outside. There's no way he can go back home now."

Pranay shut his mouth and just looked at Jayesh who just shrugged. Then he turned his gaze toward Advik who seemed unbothered or unapologetic. Pranay's eyes grew even more angry and everyone saw him ball his hands into fists. 

But he didn't do anything. 

"Mahanto," he called out loudly while still looking at Advik. A man came out of the hallway stood right in front of him. 

"Make sure to have another plate at lunch today, we have a guest," Pranay ordered in a deep and harsh voice. 

"Yes sir," Mahanto said and went away without uttering a single more word. He didn't even look at who the extra plate of food was needed for. For a few seconds, the air in the room seemed tense and heavy. 

Laia momentarily felt that perhaps the outside cold would be better than this oppressive atmosphere. 

She then announced, "I will just go and freshen up in my room, Jayesh, call me when it's time for lunch," then she looked at Jai and said, "Why don't you let Advik use your bathroom, he can freshen up in your room?"

Laia added the last sentence because she felt leaving Pranay and Advik in one room unsupervised would probably lead to a fight.  

In response to the question, Jai just nodded. Laia looked over at Pranay, whose face was clouded with emotions. But he didn't say anything or object to the idea. 

Then she turned around from the loose circle they were all standing in and began walking toward her room. 

She felt like she was playing with fire but a part of her wanted to know what was the issue between the two and maybe this sudden snowstorm would let her unveil some secrets.