Chapter Two

Rose had hardly slept that night. She daredn't move from where she was huddled in the 'play' room, she sensed her social worker was angry and didn't want to confront her, not even when she was desperately in need of using the toilet. The clock on the wall read 6 Am so Rose decided to push down the anxiety and stood up she placed her blanket back onto the floor but kept a tight hold of her stuffed monkey, although she was 13 years old age always had her stuffed monkey with her, even at school said monkey was at the bottom of her bag.

"Hi Kiddo. Are you okay?" Amanda asked the teen

"Can I use the toilet please?" Rose said in barely a whisper, her voice shaking as she spoke, she knew where the toilets were so when Amanda had told the teen she could she kept her head down and took herself out of the office and down the hall. When the brunette had returned to the office Amanda stopped her before she went back into the 'play' room

"We have a couple arriving at around mid-day from Seattle, they might be fostering you. Do you want to know more about them?" Amanda asked Rose who nodded slowly.

"Their names are Maya Bishop and Carina Deluca. Maya is a firefighter and Carina is a doctor. They don't have any other children but they want to meet you and I'm hopeful they will foster you" Amanda explained to the teen who nodded again.

"I've got meetings until twelve so you're going to be staying in there, I'll have someone check on you but I thought we could go to the cafe across the street and have some breakfast," Amanda asked Rose who shook her head, she was hungry but she didn't need food, the girls at school had told her that multiple times, they've told her she's fat, ugly, stupid, pathetic and so much more which Rose believed. She believed every single word. School isn't the only place she had been told she's fat. Previously foster parents have said so and they've said she's not 'worthy' of food, David has been one of the parents but Rose often stole food from the cupboards if she felt really hungry.

"You need to eat something Rose, you didn't have much last night" Amanda exclaims worried about the teen's health. She was clearly underweight and when she ate around Amanda she had taken ages to eat at least half of what was on her plate

"Okay," Rose simply mumbled. She let out a sigh not wanting to get into trouble for disobeying her social worker. Amanda had a bit of a temper when she was angry, Rose had seen this multiple times, mostly when she had to pick Rose up during the middle of the night or when she'd been called from Rose's school. Rose and Amanda headed out of child protective services and over to the little cafe across The street. Rose didn't hate the place but everywhere she looked there was food, of course, there was it was a cafe. The brunette girl looked at the menu and sighed opting for a slice of toast just to get her social worker off her back, with the toast she chose a glass of water.

"I don't want to be getting a call in the middle of the night if Maya and Carina foster You. I can't really drive to get you right away and we won't be able to get you a social worker in Seattle until they agree to have you for longer than a month." Amanda reminded Rose who knew this more than anything. She'd had multiple social workers over the 13 years of her life some weren't as nice as Amanda.

Rose just nodded as she listened to Amanda talk, taking small bites of the toast and each time her stomach turned. She wished she didn't have to eat any more but she knew Amanda would worry if she didn't eat eventually the pair finished and headed back to the office where Rose went straight back to the playroom so she could be alone.

Rose was bored, she was also nervous about the fact potential foster parents had been driving overnight to meet her. They sounded like nice women but everyone does until they get you home. Rose looked out of the window and sighed, it was a nice day she just wanted to be out, maybe to read under a tree in the park, she loved that, reading in the park on a nice day. She was currently reading Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets.

A few years ago Rose's foster parents brought her some books when they found out she loved to read. It was one of the families that she loved dearly but her foster mother fell pregnant with twins and her foster father had a tragic accident which meant they couldn't foster her any more, she understood. They already had a three-year-old and a five-year-old so adding twins to the mix was going to be hard enough but they tried to make it up to Rose before putting her back into the system.