Chapter 13

Percy

Present

Jude's eyes were like a key that unlocked a flood of memories. I attributed trauma to the memory block. The clinic was the most traumatic experience of my life. That day united Jude and me, as if the universe conspired to make it happen.

But it wasn't the universe that did it.

Jude and I both have AB negative blood. Coincidentally, we donated blood on the same day and at the same time. Weird. Initially, I had no recollection of the restraints until Jude reminded me. I remembered Jude bringing the juice box and straw to my lips.

Together, Jude and I pieced together the events of the day, propped ourselves up on our elbows as we faced each other. "You introduced yourself as Alonzo. I thought you told me your real name in 2018. I guess I was wrong."

"Why didn't you tell me your name?" I asked.

"Because I'm stupid?"

"Do you remember the clinic?"

"It was in a medical office building next to urgent care. It looked legit, didn't it?"

"Yeah... it seemed normal," I said. "I haven't donated blood since. I don't think I'll ever donate again."

"Definitely not."

"I think I fell in love with you there," I said, combing my fingers through his hair. "I sound crazy, huh?"

"We're all a little crazy," he said, scooting closer to me.

"I don't remember getting home. Do you?"

"No."

"What did they do to us?"

"I wish I knew," he said.

"I'm worried we won't get all the answers we want," I said, growing more skeptical by the minute.

"Don't be so pessimistic. It's not your style." Jude abruptly pounced on top of me. Clutching my hands, he brought my arms over my head. His kisses traced a path along my neck, leaving a trail of warmth and tingling sensations along my collarbone. "I'm gonna wear you out."

"Yes, please. I'm counting on it."

Jude picked up where he left off before I had my sudden realization.

With each passing hour, exhaustion crept up on me, making it harder and harder to keep going. All I wanted was to sink into a deep sleep, undisturbed by unexplained travels. Jude and I drifted off to sleep, comfortable and safe in each other's arms.

Seconds ago, Jude was asleep in my arms. Now I found myself naked and on a bitterly cold beach in the dark, curled up in the fetal position. The waves added to the chill, making it feel like sub degree weather. If I stayed out here, I'd freeze to death. My body shook uncontrollably and my bones ached as I crawled on the cold sand, searching for my clothes. The beach was eerily dark, with the crashing waves providing the only sound.

Overwhelmed by a deluge of thoughts and memories, my brain struggled to process them all. I couldn't decipher what was real and what wasn't. As I crawled, I hadn't realized I was going the wrong way and straight towards the ocean. In a second, waves splashed over me. I was so cold; I could barely move, not even when I heard Jude's voice.

"Percy !" he shouted. As I looked up, shivering ferociously, Jude sprinted through the sand, tripping a few times on his way to me. In front of me, he fell to his knees, draping a coat over me. With my body trembling and my teeth chattering, he embraced me tightly, providing a sense of safety and warmth. Before proceeding further, there was an important matter I had to address.