POP - 4 - friendship

You and Lucifer had begun to make two AM balcony hangouts a regular thing. Lucifer would throw a duck down if he needed company, and you would throw a duck up if you needed company. You just stayed with each other silently, knowing that the other was there, almost every night.

A month after your first balcony hangout, Lucifer decided to surprise you. He tossed a duck down.

As you emerged from your bedroom, you glanced up at him. He smiled down at you. "I have a surprise!" he softly called in a sing-song voice.

"What?" You raised an eyebrow.

"A surprise!" he repeated.

"I know, what is it?" You laughed.

"Come to my door!" he grinned and ran inside like a little gremlin.

You rolled your eyes fondly and grabbed your hoodie, throwing it on over your too-big t-shirt. Before you had knocked on his door, he opened it. You clocked the deep eyebags and messy hair, but ignored them to greet your friend. You probably didn't look much better (you didn't lol).
"You can come in, just uh... ignore the ducks, heh," he laughed nervously.

Instead of being bothered by the absolutely trashed room, your eyes wandered to his nightstand. "You have my favorite wine," you commented.

"Oh—shit, that was supposed to be part of the surprise..." Lucifer snapped his fingers and the bottle disappeared.

You took silent note of the other items on the nightstand. A bottle of Prozac. A sticky note reading "remember to eat". A picture of him and what looked like a younger Charlie.

You followed him out to his balcony. On the balcony was a little picnic blanket with cold water, wine, and some of your favorite snacks.

"I wasn't sure if you were going to be up for wine, so I got water too," Lucifer explained, nervously tapping his claws together.

"It's great—but what's the occasion? And it's three AM," you added as an afterthought

"One month since we became friends. Oh, and according to Charlie it's a human holiday called Thanksgiving."

Your heart dropped. Right. Thanksgiving.

~~~

"Bye, y/n!" Chin-Sun called, waving to you before closing the door. As soon as she had left, Damian walked in.

"Y/n! Darling! How fortunate I am to see you around! Still no family to spend Thanksgiving with?" Damian mocked in English. He was one of the only people you knew who didn't speak any Korean.

"Chin-Sun invited me. I had to decline."

"Really? Why?"

"I need to work on my solo for 711," you answered robotically.

"Good girl. Last time, your hands? Ugh. Fucking disgusting, don't you think?" He demonstrated this by forming his hands into claws. "Luckily, nobody noticed. Work on that. Also, why did your voice sound like horseshit? Whatever you have to do, fucking fix it~!" He sang the last bit, though his eyes told you he wasn't fucking around. You nodded obediently. As soon as he left, you broke down against the door, curling up as you began sobbing to yourself.

That was the day you nearly cracked.

~~~

At the expression on your face, Lucifer softened. "I'm sorry. If there's bad memories there. We can just pretend it's not. Or, we can cancel this... I mean, it is three AM, so no worries--" he added quickly, not wanting to guilt trip you.