POP - 8 - apologies

That night was the first in ages you didn't text each other good night. It was the first time neither of you threw a duck on the balcony of the other's in a month, and the first time in weeks the both of you didn't sleep. The absence of him reminded you of the absence of her. He was your only friend now.

How did you explain to him that you were just too nervous around his perfection to see him that night?

~~~

December 31, 2017

It was the first time you hadn't talked to Chin-Sun at Friday at five PM exactly in all your time knowing her. She called you exactly fifty-seven times.

How to explain to her that you were too busy being beaten by your manager to see her that night?

~~~

Lucifer was up at three AM—but instead of calling you, he decided to go downstairs.

And make pancakes.

He would just make a couple.

He hadn't eaten that night.

It would be fine.

~~~

You rolled over once more—and your alarm went off. You hadn't slept. You dreaded having to find out how much you had hurt Husk and Lucifer when you went downstairs—but you had to.

To nobody's surprise, you were the second-to-last one downstairs. To everyone's surprise, the only person who hadn't shown his face yet was Lucifer—who was usually the first awake.

You experienced that feeling of knowing someone was just talking about you when you walked past Charlie and Vaggie to sit at the bar.

"Look, Husk—I—I'm sorry," you whispered to the bartender.

His eyes softened. "I was really mad, you know. But... I think I can forgive you this time, n/n," he whispered back. "And I'm sorry too. That was... several boundaries too far." You let your lips fall into a smile.

"Your usual coffee?" Niffty called.

"Mhm," you hummed as Angel spun on his barstool next to you. The little maid skittered into the kitchen.

All of a sudden, everyone was startled by two screams. One was Niffty, and the other was...

"Lucifer?" You muttered with concern evident in your voice.

You all ran into the kitchen. Lucifer was in the middle of flipping a pancake, staring at Niffty with pure fear in his eyes. Niffty was holding a knife to Lucifer's throat and had clearly just smacked him. Why he was scared of her for just slapping him, you had no idea. (uh oh foreshadowing)

"Uhh..." Sir Pentious tilted his head.

Niffty giggled and pulled the knife away. "Sorry. Thought you were a ROACH."

"Should I be offended?" Lucifer muttered softly. Your heart shattered at the anxiety and hope in his eyes as he glanced at you—before abruptly fixating on flipping a pancake.

"Whoa, Dad... this is..." Charlie started.

"A lot," Angel finished.

At least a hundred pancakes were stacked on five different plates, all perfect and probably delicious.

Lucifer waved it off. "Heh, yeah, couldn't sleep so I thought I'd make a couple pancakes for us! Nothing better than breakfast!" His left eye twitched, however, a sign that you recognized.

"Ahem. If you all don't mind, I would love to privately eat all these pancakes," you stared meaningfully at Husk, who understandingly nodded and led the others away.