Call It Off - Harry Styles

*WARNING, GRAPHIC SEXUAL CONTENT*

I found comfort on my couch, wrapped in a large blanket while watching Supernatural. The cold cookies and cream ice cream I consumed soothed my throat, and the remnants of dried tears and a hoarse windpipe lingered as I tried to keep myself together. I felt pathetic. The situation I was in was pathetic. I was hopelessly in love with someone set to get married in 2 weeks.

Harry was my best friend from the age of 12. We were inseparable, attached at the hip, and got into more than our fair share of mischief as kids. As we got older and more mature, I realized that my feelings for him went deeper than just friendship. He was there for me through the good and the bad; he was my rock. He'd grown so much, transforming from an awkward, skinny boy I was hardly attracted to into a tall, handsome man.

I first truly accepted my romantic feelings for him when we had gotten drunk together at one of our mutual friends' birthday bashes, as we had done so many times before. But this time we slow-danced together and shared a kiss I would never forget. It started slow, delicate, almost as though we thought we could break. Once we realize we wouldn't it became deeper, more passionate. It was the best kiss of my life, and it only lasted 30 seconds. I then made a mistake I regret to this day.

I ended up being the one to pull away, afraid of what our drunken actions could mean for our future. Once we had sobered up the day after, Harry proposed we forget it and move on. While I agreed, I never truly followed through. My feelings for him festered, and I soaked in any chance I got to be close to him. And we were close frequently; hugging and cuddling was nothing new to us. That happened shortly before he met his now fiance 2 years ago.

She was a sweet girl on the outside, but very possessive and controlling on the inside. I watched as she secluded him from our friends and integrated him into her circle instead. I was the only one he truly stayed friends with, but she hated every time we hung out. She hated me. And the shitty part was I understood why. Harry is his unbridled self with me, and we were often physically close. While Harry was blind to my feelings, she was not. I tried my best to keep my distance and be respectful despite my disliking of her.

When he proposed, I wanted to be happy for him. I wanted to be supportive, but I found myself heartbroken. The realization that I had truly lost my chance set in. All because I was afraid of changing our friendship. I feared he didn't love me in the way I loved him. It became clear that he lost interest when I didn't receive an invitation to his wedding. He hadn't messaged me in a month, which broke my heart. He was truly moving on with his life.

I needed to do the same, but instead, I sat here grieving the metaphorical loss of my best friend and the love of my life. I stood from the couch, leaving the cocoon of my blanket to return the container of ice cream to my freezer. On my way back to the couch, I heard a knock at my door. Hesitantly I walked to it, as I was not expecting any company. My heart pounded as I looked out of the eyehole and saw Harry with his hands buried in his jeans pockets.

After I internally panicked I looked myself over. While I had showered earlier I still looked a mess, dressed in an oversized shirt and tiny shorts with no underwear. I imagined my eyes were still bloodshot as the skin around them was still puffy. My instinct to hide was far outweighed by my curiosity about why he came here. I opened the door and he looked as handsome as ever, his soft brown curls draping over his face, a button-up shirt covering his tattooed chest, and tucked into a nice pair of black pants. His eyes quickly met mine after I opened my door. The concern seemed to flood his face as he looked me over.

"Hey... are you okay? It's been a while," He asked softly. He spoke to me as if I could break and it made me feel even weaker. I opened the door more for him, silently inviting him inside. I put on a fake smile; he didn't need any more stress on top of planning a wedding.