Chapter 6: greenie?

Multiple protests came from the gladers after Minho's statement

"She's a girl, Minho. Are you out of your mind?" Gally yelled.

Suddenly I could hear metal buckling from behind me.

No, no, I thought it was dead.

I turned to see the griever, alive and well again.
It loudly screeched, making a few gladers fall backward in fear.

Luckily, it retreated into the maze.

"What the shuck were you thinking mei? You could've gotten us killed." Alby yelled in anger.

"I just-"

"Slim it, one week in the slammer. You're lucky we don't banish you right here and now."
Alby shot me a glare.

"Alright you shanks shows over. Get back to work!"
Soon, the gladers had all left.

I turned to Minho, who looked at me anxiously before averting his gaze.

I heard a voice shout out,
"Mei!" Before feeling a body crash into me. It was Chuckie.
"We were so worried. We couldn't find you anywhere," he said in between choked sobs.
"It's okay, Chuck. I'm here now," I replied, running my fingers through his curly hair in an attempt to calm him down.

The voice was there again, sounding out of breath and panicky like he just ran from something.

Mei, they've found out what I did, I think they're gonna send me in.

What? wait, what are you saying?-

Just like that, the feeling of his absence was there again. He had just been ripped away from me.

Newts pov

I just stared at her, hugging the sobbing boy. I couldn't help but feel a little jealous. Was it wrong?

But there was no time to dwell on my feelings. Mei had put herself in danger, and Alby was right to be angry. We couldn't afford to make such reckless decisions in the maze.

I approached Mei, who was telling Chuck to go and have dinner.
She looked up at me, and I could see the guilt in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Newt. I didn't mean to cause trouble," she said softly.

I sighed, trying to contain my emotions.
"I know you didn't, but you have to be more careful. You can't just do anything reckless like that, we can't afford to lose anyone."

What if I had lost you? I said in a whisper, not loud enough for her to hear.

Mei nodded, her expression softened.
"I understand. I won't do anything like that again.."