Chapter 7 part 2

Out of breath, Ethel caught up with Zara in front of the square, where a multitude of mechanical butterflies with bubbles filled with heart dust were flying. It glowed and shimmered in their small bodies, enveloping the viewing deck in a soft scarlet glow. Zara didn't turn to him, but she smiled, slowing her step.

"Where are you going so fast? We've only just met, and you're already running away from me," said the young man with a feigned reproach, and then froze, noticing the amazing luminous beauty around, then came to his senses again and rushed after the girl.

"I get it, you're using this beautiful place as a diversion to get away. But believe me, nothing can compete with..." and he stammered, for when they emerged from the scarlet haze, they found themselves in an empty space in front of a low stone fence. Beyond that was the lower tier, and above it was the massive Palace of the Usurper, rising to the heavens like a black wall and a crown of lights. There was a gap only on the right side of it, where the lights of the inner palace shone.

"Do you know what that gap in the wall is?" Ethel asked, fascinated.

Zara shook her head.

"How about that, the golem tamer doesn't know the Saga of Sammarius!" they both laughed, and he continued, "It's not a classic text, though, but an addition about Tamen's heroic ascent."

He cleared his throat and began to recite:

"And valiant Makitu Kwal sent warship to a battle's call. With fiery heart and courage all our hero brave Makitu. He vanquished foes, his frigate blazed. To fight again his spirit raised. Then down the rope his form was raced. Descended bold Makitu. The palace walls in thunder broke. The ship's blast left a veil of smoke. Behind it sailed, purpose-storke. The captain stout, Makitu."

He finished and turned his head toward Zara, who was looking at him with a smile. Ethel was immediately embarrassed and went through his pockets again.

"Here, look!"

And he threw something over the fence in front of him. There was nothing for a while, but then glowing lines rose from below, drawing a frigate floating on the waves. It made a circle around the square and took off into the sky, twinkling and glowing with multicolored lights. The gathered people and Zara applauded. The girl laughed and covered her rosy cheeks with her hands. Ethel turned to the casual audience and bowed:

"Come! Come! Safrona Chemical Theater at the intersection of Cutters and Puppeteers!" and turning to Zara, said, "As for young tamer, I invite you right now!"

Zara staggered, and he nodded at his cart.

"Don't think anything wrong, I need to take the tray, and then I'll be happy to walk you home."

Zara thought for a moment, her gaze fell on the stray dogs who had also come to watch the show, and she shuddered and mechanically grabbed Ethel's hand.

"I'll take that as a yes," the young man smiled.

They returned to the elevator and walked down the Heart Square past the Thirteenth Moon to the Craftsmen District. There, at the corner of Cutters and Puppeteers, there was indeed a double door with a beautifully carved inscription "Chemical Theater," and at the bottom was a note in paint "Ethel Safrona." The young man chattered like a magpie, taking advantage of his companion's silent interest. And she looked at the small hall, filled with leaky seats with worn-out numbers, the crumbling plaster, and the stage, with hastily nailed boards of various sizes, which lacked credibility. Ethel, pacing lightly on them, led her backstage, where his chemical laboratory was located, and with glowing eyes began to tell her about the contents of beakers and flasks, about heating elements and how the figure of a rabbit was obtained. But Zara did not listen, just enjoying the sound of this unexpected man's voice. He sounded like a big kid lost in his infatuation. And she loved it. There were no passionate people in her life. Except for the old magister, but even he was rather an exception to the rule.