Chapter 01: Fashionably Late

The first chapter is here. Please do share your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote and share it with your friends
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dahlia's POV (Edited)

"That would be $6.97."

The bubbly and smiley face of the cashier greeted me as I turned my head to look up at her. She was young. Probably 15 or 16 years at max. Whenever I came here to buy, she's always present. A small smile automatically appeared on my face too.

They say smile is contagious. I started to believe it.

I grabbed the huge bouqet of flowers from her hands. I brought out my wallet and paid her.

"Thank you so much for shopping."

She exclaimed once again in her happy and cheerful voice. I nodded my head. But I noticed something. She was fidgeting with her fingers. My eyebrows folded together and I stared up at her face. It clearly seen that she wanted to say something. But couldn't say due to maybe hesitation.

It won't be a surprise if she hesitates to say anything to me. So, I encouraged her knowing fully well that if I don't do it, she might not get the chance to say whatever she wanted to say.

"You can say what you want to."

I tried to keep my voice as soft and inviting as possible. I don't want to scare her off by using my usual professional and hard tone of voice. The cashier gulped before she asked timidly

"Can I take a picture with you?"

Her question caught me off guard. So many questions had already formed into my head when she first stated that she wanted to ask me something. But that question didn't make the list. It kind of surprised me that she needed to ask for such a trivial question with such hesitation.

"Of course, you can."

At my reply, her face broke out into what I consider was the highest level of happiness. She jumped in excitement before she wiped her hands at her apron and brought out her phone. She approached me before she opened her camera.

"Do you want to touch up your face or hairs?"

I asked her. At my question, she looked flabbergasted before she muttered

"Yeah sure. Can you give me a second?"

A jittery feeling erupted into my chest. I was fascinated by the girl's excitement. It was like she was getting a noble prize. She was that much joyful.

"I'm ready."

Her sweet voice resonated into my ears making me loose the track of my thoughts. She tilted the phone a little before snapping a picture. Then, she turned to me before she stated with her voice full of praise

"Thank you so much. I was scared you would refuse me because you must be tired of people always stopping you to take pictures."

The way this girl was more wiser than loads of adult people made me believe that there's still a little bit of humanity left. I passed her an reassuring smile before I patted her shoulder

"I won't refuse smart people like you. Keep up the spirit. You're hard working. And that's the key to success."

She nodded her head before I headed towards the exit. I walked towards my car parked at the end of the street. My eyes were hidden by the shades because I don't want to attract the attention of the media which I assumed was hiding here and there to snap a photo or two.