✨ Chapter Thirty Nine ✨

Wooyoung stood alone, a silent observer in the midst of celebration. His drink offered solace amidst the cacophony of laughter and clinking glasses. Mingi and Yeosang, immersed in their own world of selfies with Minji, earned a disapproving glance from Wooyoung, who couldn't help but chuckle at their antics.

Across the room, San and Hyejin basked in the attention of well-wishers, their conversation a melody in the symphony of voices. Wooyoung watched them from afar, his heart heavy with the weight of unspoken words and shattered dreams.

Hyejin's father, Mr. Han, approached Wooyoung with a warm smile, engaging him in conversation about his studies and aspirations.

"So, Wooyoung, what are your plans for the future?" Mr. Han inquired, genuine interest twinkling in his eyes.

Wooyoung, taken aback by the sudden attention, replied hesitantly, "Well, sir, I've been thinking about starting my own venture, if possible."

Mr. Han chuckled heartily at Wooyoung's response. "Starting your own business, eh? That's ambitious! But why go through all that trouble when you could easily step into the family business? Choi Enterprises has quite the legacy, you know."

Wooyoung forced a polite smile, though his heart sank at the reminder of his status as the stepson, forever relegated to the sidelines of the prestigious conglomerate. "I appreciate the offer, sir, but I believe in carving my own path," he replied diplomatically.

" I appreciate your value for independence but no one in their right mind would not agree to become the heir of Choi Enterprises. You do know the influence and fame your step father has, right?"
Mr Han asked.

" Indeed, Mr Choi is quite influential and always the talk of the town. He just needs to breathe and it goes viral. But I'm not the rightful heir to his assets."
Wooyoung replied.

" Why do you think so?"
Mr Han asked.

" Well, it's because I'm his step son. And San is his biological son so therefore San is the rightful owner of all the assets and inheritance."

Mr Han chuckled and patted Wooyoung's back.

" Son, I do agree but it's upto Mr Choi to decide whether he wants you to inherit his business and wealth or not. And by the looks of it, Mr Choi speaks highly of you so I'm confident he'll leave you a part of his wealth."

" Honestly, I don't really care for that money. Money and wealth aren't really everything, you know? There's more to this world than just plain paper money and metal coins."

Mr Han shook his head.

" Nonsense, you have to understand that the modern world is all about wealth and power. The ones who have  both of these rule while those devoid of such privileges only sulk. In this world, people do everything for money. They lie, they steal, they betray and they kill. People even love for money."

Wooyoung furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

" What do you mean by ' love for money?"

" People love for money. It's true. They just gain the trust of the other person and once the other is fully submerged in their trap, they suck out their money like bloodthirsty vampires. Many people in the world marry rich people who are way out of their league just to enjoy their money. That's how it is and no one denies that when money speaks, everyone goes silent and listens attentively."
Mr Han replied as he took a sip of his drink.

" I have honestly never seem anyone marry someone for money. It's either love or lust or nothing at all."

" Oh, Wooyoung, then you are far too innocent to know the evils within this world."
Mr Han commented.