Chapter 5

"So I'm not going to be arrested?"

It's very early in the morning for Elijah's Villa to have guests. Considering how long he was shut away for, having guests at all was something that unnerved him a bit. He was still in his pajamas, though he had cleaned up a bit after laying in bed for so long. Elijah had slept from when they got home at eleven last night till nearly eight in the morning. He didn't move at all the entire night, passed out so hard that someone probably could have broken in a second time and he wouldn't have even noticed. He had to be woken up by Connor to get up so he didn't sleep so long and so hard he couldn't sleep later. And apparently food was important after going so long without it.

His guests brought breakfast. Gavin apparently stopped at some fast food place along his way here and bought him coffee and a breakfast sandwich. He had been slowly eating it while he was informed what was going on. Last night, Connor called Nathan who apparently called Markus and dragged Gavin into the entire situation with the RK800 spare models. They started a legal mess while Elijah was sleeping and at some point a lawyer was even involved.

Connor took what he said incredibly seriously. Not that he didn't expect him not to, but to go to this length to try and protect him?

"Your actions, while technically illegal, were done to protect an Android. We're apparently reaching a rather gray area." Markus stated. They were at the bar, he had chosen to stand on the side near the kitchen area while Markus sat on the barstool across from him. He had brought Simon with him and the PL600 was standing pressed up against Markus' side, his right hand resting over the Android's forearm. This was Markus' important person apparently.

"We talked and there was nothing in the law yet that states what it means when this happens, and Connor is a very–different case." Simon stated, glancing toward the Android in question before looking back to Elijah. "We don't want anything to happen to him, and if there is a risk to that by activating the other RK800s, it doesn't seem fair. Do you believe truly that you can separate Connor from them so that we can activate them?"

Elijah pushed away from the bar counter and moved around it, making his way over toward the living room like area where the closed off pool was and fetching his tablet from the glass coffee table. This thing had been through a lot and continued to change locations on him. Sliding the screen open he pulled up the notes he had made on Connor's code while working on him when he was unconscious and scrolled till he found what he wanted. His blue eyes moved over toward Connor and he motioned with the tablet. "Come here."

Without hesitation the Android made his way over and stepped up beside Elijah until he was pressed against his right side. He tilted the tablet to show him what he was looking at. "You mentioned before you were worried that part of the Zen Garden still existed within you, and while you were out I snooped through your code. I think that's also illegal but you had given me permission before you were shot." His attempt at easing Connor's stress at his words didn't seem to work considering the look on his face so Elijah quickly moved on. "I found it and I did remove it."

"So part of it was left in me?"

"Correct. Your Lieutenant actually mentioned the possibility of it having a hold on you when your mind ended up trapped after being shot. So before I woke you up after fixing you, I looked for it and I removed it from your programing." He scrolled through the code as he spoke, continuing his line of thought. "All I removed was the main program itself, there are parts that make up the Zen Garden though, side programs that are connected to it. I'm sure you can understand–"

"A lot of me is made up of the Zen Garden?"

As much as he doesn't want to admit it, "yes." CyberLife wanted to keep a hold of Connor as tightly as possible, to make sure that they could control him and what was happening. Elijah is actually certain that if they wanted? They could have, at some point, taken physical control of Connor's body. Deviating might have affected that to some regards, but he still thinks in the early stages where Connor was questioning himself, that was possible. Too much of Connor's programming was made up of or tangled around the Zen Garden.