Planning and Crashing

"He got taken? Are you...are you absolutely sure?" Wukong sounded nearly hysterical with desperation, barely holding still as Mei finished bandaging his wounds. MK nodded solemnly, frowning to himself, "He told me to run."

Qi Xiaotian wouldn't have run, right? He would have probably stayed back and fought. He would have been able to help the warrior escape to safety.

Then again, Macaque had been cursed. Long since touched by her freezing hands, and tricked into wearing her chains like a collar. A cruel accessory. The reality was he wouldn't have been able to save the shadow user, not unless he had something that could destroy the ice.

Wukong squeezed his eyes shut before cupping MK's face in his hands, "I am so glad you ran, bud. If Macaque says to get away, it means just that. She could have...she could have taken you, too." MK felt a surge of emotions course through his veins, thumping in his ears. Tears spilled past his eyelashes, tears of relief and sorrow and frustration.

"How are we gonna stop her?" MK cried out, grabbing onto his mentor's hands, "How do we save everyone?"

Save Macaque?

The king smiled, a sly little thing, and leaned back. His hands moved away from the star's face, and revealed the rolled up paper they'd come crashing in with. Mei narrowed her eyes on it, "Is it a spell?" MK brightened, tears beginning to dry, "We can curse her back?"

"No, not exactly." Wukong's somber expression split into a small smile, "It's a map." He unrolled it, paper crinkling smoothly against wood. Vague symbols and markings were spread out across the parchment, and Wukong smoothed it out gently with his finger tips.

"The Samadhi Fire."

---

"So, there's three rings." Mei spoke slowly, calculating. MK felt a small sense of deja vu, as if he'd heard this story before. Wukong glanced over at the star and cleared his throat, "No. Not exactly. MK, do you remember seeing Ao Lie in a past life?" The brunette frowned, "...Kind of?"

Pigsy cut in, confusion clearly written on his face, "Wait, what does Mei's great grandfather gotta do with all've this?" Wukong exhaled slowly, trying to find courage within himself. Courage to tell the truth. MK had heard the story once before, in a past life or two, lying to protect them would only lead to further distrust and pain.

"Ao Lie had the fourth ring inside of him."

The dragon girl felt her eyes widen, the implications toying with her mind. Because if she was the fourth ring, if she had been one of many generations to inherit the damn thing, what did that mean for her?

"...I would end up wielding the fire." The girl licked her lips in thought, her skin feeling much too warm. The king reached out, placed a hand against her arm. The same way he'd comfort MK. It made her laugh inside, though her numbing panic didn't seize.

"It's super powerful...can I actually use it?"

Wukong hummed, chin pressed against the palm of his hand, "...It's either you, or Red Son who'd be our safest bets. You host the ring, as had many generations within your family. You won't evaporate from the fire, and Red Son...kinda created the fire?"

Sandy suddenly leaned in, his soft voice startling the group, "So. We either help Mei get ready, or get Red Son to help us and take the fire. Right?" Wukong nodded slowly, blinking hazily, "Mhm. That's...the base of the plan." The king rubbed his head, huffing softly.

His head was spinning, and his body seemed to burn. MK leaned against him, making the prickling bits of pain even out into a warm dull. Wukong felt like crying.