City Lights, and Too Much Ice

Wukong had thrown his ring down into the crust of the earth, and Xiaotian had transformed it into a lantern. MK couldn't remember this yet, his past memories too finicky and still developing, but Wukong easily led the way.

The village who'd been handed the mysterious lantern had become a city themed around them. Lights were strewn up everywhere, with buildings looming over railways and roads. People bustled around, preparing for a festival as the team boarded one of the trains.

Wukong was frowning from where he stood, and MK had to stifle a laugh as Mei pointed him out. The brunette looked out the window in awe, nudging his best friend, "This place is really pretty." Mei nodded, phone in hand as she took pictures. Their anxiety fell as their excitement grew, and soon they arrived at their stop.

Sandy led them out, smiling at their excited rambles. They waited until everyone had regrouped, and MK eyed the giant lantern in the middle of the city. He felt something within him pull at the energy within the paper decoration, and a golden hue of light shined through the red paper. MK gasped, "There! The Third Ring!"

Tang squinted his eyes, musing softly, "We could take it." Pigsy moved to agree when Sandy suddenly picked up a flier, "Hey, there's a talent show going on. The winner gets to hold the lantern until the next festival!" Wukong frowned, "I think we should listen to Glasses here. I mean... it's right there."

"Why are you so nervous? It's just the cubs watching us dance." Xiaotian grumbled, trying to ease his brother's nerves. Wukong flushed, shaking his head, "I get shy. I'm not made to perform." The brunette cub nodded, "You said you had a friend who was. Maybe someday, he can put on a show with me. And you can watch."

MK grinned, "Maybe you and Tang can get it, and we'll perform. It'll be like the Ultimate Distraction!" The others nodded, excited at the prospect of driving forward a plan.

---

"You need to do better." The Lady's voice was as frigid as her touch. Macaque didn't flinch, couldn't even twitch, and stared straight ahead. Maybe he felt scared, or annoyed. Maybe he simply felt the need to survive, to bite at the hands that force-fed him.

He had a habit of getting angry and horrid when he was scared, after all. Not that the Lady would let that slide. She'd managed to teach him that lesson plenty of times by now. And he didn't want to hurt the little girl she'd forced to temporarily grow up. He missed the boy he'd come to care for.

He missed the Sun's beloved Star.

White eyes met innocent baby blues, and the demoness was in front of him. "Well? What do you think?" Her words were not a true question, a true command. So the warrior remained quiet. Better mute and stupid than holding back a pained scream.

Chains could burn into your skin without ever raising their temperature.

"I want you to go find out what they're planning." The Lady whispered, yet it echoed out. That was a command, and the warrior could feel his body preparing to move. "I want you to bring me the King and his Wish."

He fell, sinking into the abyss of his shadows, and moved towards the warmth he'd always reached for.

---

MK grinned, watching the cheering crowd roar in excitement as Pigsy sang, waves of pure music crashing down on everyone like the tides that came from crystal waves. He glanced up at the lantern, grinning as Tang waved at him from the opening at the bottom, holding up a golden lantern. The Third Ring.

Mei laughed as the song came to an end, bashing into a gong beside her. Lights gleamed over them, making his skin warm beneath the costume. Confetti flew down, scattering with the breeze that seemed to surround the city's incoming early winter.