Greetings, Old Friend

"I need to meditate, seeing as my powers are all drained." Wukong explained with waving hands, smiling reassuringly at MK, "And I'll be able to heal and protect you, bao bei." The brunette frowned, scrunching his nose in distaste, "How long will you take?"

The king grimaced, closing his eyes, "Hm. I'm not sure." MK gawked, tapping the monkey's shoulder, "What?! Dàgē, that's not an answer!" Wukong exhaled with a laugh, his fur beginning to glow, "I promise not to take too long." MK grabbed onto the glowing king, his hands warming up as if he'd stuck his hands into a pile of hand warmers.

This was familiar.

Tiny paws, cooing chirps, and golden-red eyes closing. Brown fur pressed itself against glowing fur, sleep lulling the babe as warmth washed over them. Hands held him in a neatly positioned lap.

"...Hey, Mei?" MK turned around, ignoring the need in his heart momentarily, "Check this out!" The dragon girl rushed over, beaming, "What's up?" She sat down beside her best friend, watching giddily as the boy grabbed her hands and pressed them against the monkey's leg, "Warm!"

Mei gasped in delight, laying on the ground and squishing against the king, "Hey, this is a great napping spot!" MK layed down as well, laughing as he joined her. Slowly, as night began to fall, sleep took them away.

---

Cooing echoed out, warm hands supporting his small body. A familiar face came into view, a doting expression strewn across a softened face. Sun Wukong smiled down at his little Qi Xiaotian.

MK blinked, moving his tiny hands up towards the other's cheeks. Wukong let him, unbothered by the contact as he laughed.

"Why am I seeing all of this?" MK whispered, suddenly alone in the abyss that took up his mind. Xing appeared, smiling patiently, "You and I are one, yet two." He moved around the younger of the two, speaking clearly, "I am Qi Xiaotian, so are you. But I am Xing, and you are MK."

"I don't-- What?" MK sputtered, shaking his head. Xing paused, amused and sympathetic, "Take Mei, for example. Imagine she meets an alternate version of herself, hm? They're both Mei, but they're not the same. They can have the same personality, but different traits. They can both share the same favorite foods, but may like and dislike other dishes separately."

MK groaned, rubbing his temples, "So are we just...What If's of each other? Is that it?" Xing grumbled, tapping his arm, "Hm. Well...yes? I...sorry, I suck at explaining things." MK snorted, shaking his head, "Same." The brunette monkey hooted out in amusement, tapping his foot giddily.

"One day you'll understand. You're one step closer."

---

The desert was hot at first, but soon enough was freezing as Macaque summoned hoards of ice. It makes the van slide and screech, but they don't stop. They can't stop.

The warrior was hunting them down, haunted gaze set on them. The cold made them all shudder, the only warmth radiating from the Monkey King. But even then, it was hard snuggling up against his glowing body as the van thrashed everyone around. There was a point in which Mei ended up under the bed with the king, and MK felt terrified.

What if Macaque caught them?

Eventually they slid off of frigid sand, and swerved into a forest. Sandy drove into clustered foliage, making everyone wait with baited breath for another wave of sleet and unforgiving shards. But nothing happened, except for Wukong's slightly dimmed glow as the youngest members clung to him for warmth.

"...Why did he leave?" Tang frowned, scanning the area from behind the dashboard, "Why not chase us in here?" MK sat up, looking around with golden eyes before gasping, "It belongs to mountain gods. This place is protected!" Mei gawked, scrambling up, "So we're okay?"