Chapter 11 - Gift

"No thanks to your burglar," Thorin said to Gandalf, who had been stating how relieved he was that everyone was safe.

"I believe thanks is in order for both burglars," Gandalf said. "Without Bilbo, the ponies might have never been set loose. Blair had the nous to play for time! None of the rest of you thought of that."

Thorin gave a small nod, realizing Gandalf was right as always. The mention of Blair caused him to look around, trying to spot the curly-headed girl. His eyes fell on her next to Bilbo, the two reuniting. Gandalf's words truly sunk in at that moment. Without her, he had no clue what would've happened. Suddenly, her eyes met his. In pure instinct, he gave a smile and nod of appreciation. She blinked for a few moments but then returned it before focusing back on Bilbo.

"These trolls could not have travelled in daylight," Gandalf muttered, causing Thorin to turn back.

"There must be a troll hoard nearby," he said, immediately grabbing his sword and looking around. "Dwalin, Gloin!"

Both dwarves immediately went to Thorin and began searching with him, most of the others staying back and taking a break after the eventful night.

"We found it!" Dwalin shouted back eventually. Immediately everyone else got up and walked towards where Dwalin had yelled from.

"Are you sure you feel alright? I'm sure they won't mind us staying behind a few moments," Bilbo fretted, walking close behind Blair, who had began following the rest of the company.
"I already told you, I'm fine."

"She should be more than fine after that rescue!" Fili said, coming up beside her. Blair blushed and shook her head.

"I barely did anything. Thank Gandalf, not me!" she insisted. Fili scoffed and, suddenly, nudged Kili in the ribs, causing him to cough.
"So, Blair," Kili asked awkwardly. "What'd our uncle say to you before you ran off to find Gandalf?"

Blair looked at them both, quizzically.
"We came up with the plan for me to find Gandalf?" she responded. Fili nudged Kili again.

"Would you stop that!" Kili shouted. Both brothers started bickering, falling behind Blair and Bilbo.

"What was that all about?" Bilbo wondered aloud.

"Beats me," Blair muttered. Finally they came upon an opening to a wide cavern. A few of the dwarves who had brought torches led the way, the rest of the company going down the dark tunnel single file. Blair fell in behind Gandalf, who immediately had to duck to keep his tall hat from brushing the cave ceiling. Bilbo hesitated a few moments, muttering something, before following Blair. The dark tunnel, illuminated by the few torches being held, opened into a wide well-type storage. Everywhere they looked there were treasures of sorts. At first, it was hard to admire the treasure with the foul stench hanging in the air, ultimately being Bilbo's final straw.

"You have fun with all this," he said sarcastically to Blair. "I'll wait outside." She smiled at him sympathetically and went back to gazing at the various knick knacks lying about.

"Seems a shame just to leave it lying about," Bofur said, moving his boot over some gold coins lying in a pile on the cave floor. "Anyone could take it!"

"You're right! Nori! Bring me a shovel!" Gloin said. Dwalin rolled his eyes.

Thorin was immediately drawn to a corner of the cave with multiple weapons of different kinds. In a wooden holder sat sheathed swords, only their hilts peeking out. Without seeing the blade, he could immediately tell they were of the highest craft. He set his torch to the side, unsheathing one. Even covered in cobwebs, the sword glistened in the dim light.

"These swords were not made by any troll," Thorin said, holding up the sword for Gandalf to look at.

"Nor were they made by any smith among Men. These were forged in Gondolin, by the High Elves, of the first age," Gandalf admired, picking up a sword himself. Blair's ears perked up at the mention of elves. Thorin, on the other hand, went to put the blade down in disgust.

"You could not wish for a finer blade!" Gandalf scolded. Thorin hesitated for a few moments before putting the sword in his belt line and taking up his torch again, walking back to the opening.

"Let's get out of this foul place," he said. Gandalf followed behind holding one of the blades as well. Blair went over to where the other swords sat, admiring them. She didn't dare touch one, but the sheer sight of them filled her with awe. As the lights around her got dimmer as more dwarves left she turned around to follow, almost running into Gandalf. He was focused on something in the dirt. He slowly picked it up, revealing a small silver sword. He made a slight 'hmph' before continuing out of the cave. Blair slightly squinted as they re-emerged, readjusting to the daylight.

"Here, Bilbo. This is about your size," Gandalf said, handing the small blade to Bilbo. Blair stopped, watching a few feet back, as he took the sword.

"Gandalf. I can't take this," he sighed, holding it up. The sun glinted off the silver breathtakingly.

"The blade is of Elvish-make, which means it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are near."

"I have never used a sword in my life," Bilbo said, moving to sheath the sword in its leather case.

"And I hope you never have to. But if you do, remember this: courage isn't knowing when to take a life, but when to spare one," Gandalf advised, before walking past him. Bilbo looked at his new weapon thoughtfully. For some reason, Blair feel the smallest twinge of jealousy. She would never say it out loud, but she was a bit disappointed Gandalf hadn't given the blade to her. Especially after she thought she'd proven herself last night.

"Did you not find something down there for yourself?" Thorin said from behind her. She quickly turned around, not hearing him walk up to her. He always had a way of doing that.

"No, not really. It's not exactly like the local market back at the Shire," she joked, hoping to cover up her previous emotions. Thorin studied her for a few moments, noticing a bit of disappointment in her features.

"There's plenty of weapons in Erebor. We'll find one for you there," Thorin decided. "I promise." Blair immediately felt herself smile, and for some reason, her face felt hot. Hearing him make her a promise made her feel accepted. He wanted her to be on the journey and make it to Erebor.

"Thank you," she said, truly meaning it. He gave her a small smile, before clearing his throat and walking to the head of the company. Blair stood there for a few moments, her feelings about Bilbo's sword were completely diminished from what they were. Besides, she would have her own dwarvish sword before she knew it. And this seemed far more special to her, than any sword she could've found in a troll hoard.