The Wishing Hour

When Lord Masquerade guided her through the glass doors, Jenna found the atmosphere of the gardens completely changed. The tables and chairs stood to the side, allowing the grounds as much walking space as possible. The space was surely needed for every guest had congregated on the grounds. The hum of their chatter quieted when they saw Lord Masquerade emerge from the mansion.

Every glorious mask faced him, every bedecked form turned to him as if he alone ordered the stars overhead to shine bright. 

Jenna's heart beat faster. Without thinking, she tapped her heel on the polished stones. Maybe she still waited for that burst of pain to cripple her without warning. Or the slipper on her foot to disappear and leave her hobbling on one boot.

Or Lord Masquerade to notice how tightly she clutched his hand and pull away.  

"Won't you join them?" 

The soft murmur broke through her turmoil. Jenna didn't notice he had leaned closer to her. She raised her eyes to his. The inner shadows of his mask darkened his eyes in the moonlight. The spark in them seemed faded. 

She missed it. 

"Yeah, I can..."

Her body swayed a touch nearer to his. She could have touched his stooped shoulder with her chin if she dared to. 

"Do I have to?"

His hold on her hand loosened. She didn't echo the action. Couldn't echo it. Had she upset him?

"I mean, um, will this--" everyone stared at her, she had to hurry up, "--will this show me who you are? Like you said?"

He smiled and laughed lightly. That tight, awkward laugh she knew so well at college. And home. But then his fingers tightened on her hand again. Relief flooded her heart. Still, she sought out his eyes. Was he annoyed?

"It can show you," he said in a low tone, "But only when you're certain it won't."

She blinked, confused. He snapped his fingers and a playing card appeared between them. Gold leaf covered both sides of the card, obscuring the suite and number from view. 

The crowd cheered when the card gleamed beneath the moon. They knew what it stood for. Their enthusiasm swept through her. She felt excitement, wonder, course through her body but her fingers felt like lead, their grip stronger than steel. The excitement didn't reach her heart.

"My friends," Lord Masquerade called, "the wishing hour begins again. The wild card remains concealed, its face is not its own. Bring the wild card to its diviner and receive your due."

He lifted his hand higher. The card dazzled as the moonlight shone on its face. Jenna saw clubs, diamonds, spades, hearts all at once, interchanging between each other at the slightest movement.

"The wish is yours to seek. The price, yours to decide. The card, yours to wield."

Dark clouds chased each other beneath the moon. Wind rolled across the grounds, weaving between the guests. Lord Masquerade opened his fingers, releasing the card. Jenna followed the card for as long as she could as it swept and dove over the crowd. Then it vanished into the dark forest beyond.

The guests clapped daintily. Some bowed, others curtsied. Then the array of color dispersed as each guest choose whether to enter the forest or linger behind. Most chose the former and the grounds soon cleared up. 

"So," Jenna turned her head when he spoke to her, "what did you think?"

"I loved all of it."

She had to relax her hold, had to give him his hand back. She was being rude, a bad guest. But the fear of being alone in the sea of colorful, expressionless faces made her terrified to let go.