2

Zack's hand traced the rough, scratchy fabric of the sofa, his fingers skimming over its texture. His leg bounced uncontrollably against the floor, and his breathing became uneven as he awaited the therapist's arrival. A tear welled in the corner of his eye, the cacophony of the waiting room growing nearly unbearable.

The room was chaotic—a whirlwind of noise and emotion. Two young children, around seven years old, screamed and played nearby. Their energy seemed to amplify the tension in the air, contrasting sharply with Zack's own subdued demeanor. Across from him, a 30-year-old woman sat in the corner, clutching an oversized jacket. Her shoulders shook with silent sobs, her anguish palpable.

Zack's gaze shifted from the children to the woman, his mind spinning with questions. What had brought her here, to this same waiting room? Had she, too, sought solace and guidance amidst her grief? He imagined scenarios—a lost partner, a beloved sibling, or perhaps a parent taken too soon. The weight of her sorrow hung heavy in the room, casting a shadow over everyone present.

As he observed the scene, the minutes stretched into an eternity. Zack's mind wandered, seeking distraction from his own inner turmoil. The fluorescent lights hummed above, casting a sterile glow over the worn furniture and faded decor. His fingers continued their exploration of the sofa, seeking comfort in the familiar roughness beneath his touch.

Amidst the chaos, Zack found himself searching for connection. The waiting room was a microcosm of shared humanity—each person carrying their own burden, their own story etched into the lines of their faces. There was a strange solace in this collective vulnerability, a reminder that pain was not exclusive to him alone.

Finally, the door creaked open, and Rian stepped into the room—a calm presence amidst the storm. Zack's heart skipped a beat as their eyes met. The older man had glowing skin, and perfect eyes, tattoos were just visible under his white shirt.

"Zachary, come in" the therapist said with an equally calm and gentle tone. The voice and use of his full first name sent a shiver down his spine, reluctantly standing up, holding onto the jumper he brought with him, walking towards the therapist's room.

Crossing the threshold into Rian's office, Zack was enveloped in a sense of quietude. The sterile waiting room faded into the background as he settled into the cushioned chair opposite Rian's desk. The therapist took a seat, his gaze kind but probing, inviting Zack to open up.

"How are you feeling today, Zachary?" Rian asked softly, his voice a soothing balm to Zack's frayed nerves. The therapist's genuine concern sparked a flicker of hope within him, a glimmer of possibility in the darkness that had clouded his thoughts for so long.

Zack hesitated, his emotions swirling like a tempest. But with Rian's patient presence anchoring him, he took a deep breath and began to unravel the tangled threads of his inner turmoil.

"How are you feeling today, Zachary?" Rian asked softly, his voice a soothing balm to Zack's frayed nerves. The therapist's genuine concern sparked a flicker of hope within him, a glimmer of possibility in the darkness that had clouded his thoughts for so long.

Zack hesitated, his emotions swirling like a tempest. But with Rian's patient presence anchoring him, he took a deep breath and began to unravel the tangled threads of his inner turmoil.

"It's... it's been rough," Zack admitted, his voice wavering slightly. "Everything feels like it's spinning out of control."

Rian nodded understandingly, his expression conveying empathy without judgment. "I'm here to help you navigate through it. Let's start by talking about what's been on your mind."

As Zack opened up about his struggles—how the weight of his diagnoses had become an oppressive burden, how he felt suffocated by anxiety and despair—Rian listened intently. He asked thoughtful questions, guiding Zack to explore the roots of his feelings and challenges.

With each word shared, Zack felt a sense of relief wash over him. It was liberating to release the pent-up emotions he had bottled inside for so long. Rian's gentle encouragement and perceptive insights created a safe space where Zack could be vulnerable without fear of judgment.

Time seemed to suspend within the confines of Rian's office. The outside world faded away, leaving only Zack's voice and Rian's unwavering support. The walls, adorned with serene landscapes and inspirational quotes, felt like witnesses to a transformative dialogue.

After what seemed like both an eternity and a fleeting moment, Zack paused, his shoulders relaxing ever so slightly. "Thank you," he murmured, surprised by the rawness of his own emotions.

Rian offered a reassuring smile. "You're doing great, Zachary. Remember, healing is a journey, and you don't have to navigate it alone."

A sense of gratitude swelled within Zack. For the first time in a long while, he felt seen and heard—not just as a patient, but as a person worthy of understanding and compassion. The initial trepidation he had felt upon entering the therapist's office had given way to a glimmer of hope, a beacon amid the storm.

As their session drew to a close, Rian outlined a plan tailored to Zack's needs—a roadmap towards self-discovery and resilience. Zack left the office that day with a newfound sense of purpose, carrying with him the knowledge that, with Rian by his side, he was not merely surviving but beginning to thrive.

Outside, the waiting room had quieted. The children's laughter echoed faintly in the distance, a reminder of the resilience of the human spirit. And as Zack stepped back into the world, he carried with him the first seeds of hope, nurtured by the gentle guidance of a therapist who had become more than just a healer—he was a lifeline in the vast sea of uncertainty.

"Now can we discuss if you have any coping methods for a PTSD attack?" Rian asked, as he took notes on the notepad.

Zack barely kept eye contact with Rian as he fiddled with whatever form of fabric was around, fidgeting, moving around on the sofa silently.

"Now, can we discuss if you have any coping methods for a PTSD attack?" Rian asked, pen poised over his notepad, ready to jot down Zack's response.

Zack barely kept eye contact with Rian, his gaze fixed on a spot somewhere beyond the therapist's shoulder. He fiddled with the fabric of his hoodie, fingers nervously tracing the edges, his body fidgeting restlessly on the sofa.

"I, uh..." Zack started, his voice soft and hesitant. "I try to breathe... deep breaths, you know, to calm down. And sometimes I... I try to focus on something specific, like counting or... or naming objects around me."

Rian nodded attentively, jotting down Zack's words. "Deep breathing and grounding techniques can be very helpful," he affirmed, his tone encouraging. "Is there anything else you've found to be effective, perhaps something that brings you comfort or a sense of safety during those moments?"

Zack hesitated, chewing on his lower lip. Memories of past trauma threatened to overwhelm him, but he pressed on, determined to find some semblance of control.

"I... sometimes listen to music," Zack admitted quietly. "Certain songs... they can distract me, take me to a different place."

"That's a good strategy," Rian acknowledged, his expression supportive. "Finding ways to redirect your focus can be instrumental in managing PTSD symptoms."

As the conversation unfolded, Zack felt a mixture of vulnerability and relief. Opening up about his coping methods felt like peeling back another layer of his inner world, revealing parts of himself he had kept guarded for so long.

Rian continued to engage Zack in a dialogue, exploring different approaches and techniques tailored to Zack's unique experiences and triggers. With each suggestion, Zack felt a glimmer of optimism—a sense that, with the right tools and guidance, he could regain a sense of agency over his own mental landscape.

By the end of the session, Zack felt a renewed sense of determination. He knew the road ahead would be challenging, but with Rian's unwavering support and expertise, he felt equipped to face whatever obstacles lay in his path.

"Thank you," Zack murmured as they wrapped up the discussion. "I... I appreciate your help."

Rian offered a warm smile. "You're making great progress, Zack," he reassured. "Remember, healing is a journey, and you're taking important steps forward."