16

Zack sat in the bedroom he was provided, his small limited items, safely in his back pack, t ucked in one corner.

As Zack settled into the bedroom provided for him at the shared house, he took a moment to reflect on the turn of events that had brought him here. The room was modest yet welcoming, with a twin-sized bed, a small desk, and a dresser. His limited belongings, carefully packed in his backpack, were tucked away in one corner.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Zack felt a mixture of emotions—gratitude for having a safe place to stay, sadness over the recent loss of his family and home, and uncertainty about the future. Despite the challenges he faced, he found some comfort in the stability of this new environment.

Looking around the room, Zack noticed a framed quote on the wall: "The strongest hearts have the most scars." The words resonated with him, reminding him of his resilience in the face of adversity.

Zack decided to reach out to Principal Johnson to express his appreciation once more. He pulled out his phone and dialed the number, feeling a sense of relief as he heard Principal Johnson's familiar voice on the other end.

"Principal Johnson, it's Zack," he said warmly. "I just wanted to thank you again for arranging this accommodation for me. It means a lot to have a safe place to stay."

Principal Johnson responded with genuine kindness. "You're very welcome, Zack. I'm glad we could find a good solution for you. Remember, if you need anything or have any concerns, don't hesitate to reach out."

After expressing his gratitude to Principal Johnson for arranging his accommodation, Zack gathered the courage to ask for additional support.

"Principal Johnson," Zack began tentatively, "I was wondering if there's any assistance available for getting a few new clothes. Most of my belongings were lost in the fire, and I only have a few items with me."

Principal Johnson listened attentively, his voice warm and reassuring. "Of course, Zack. We can certainly look into getting you some clothing. Let me make some inquiries with our school's resources and community partners. I'm sure we can find a way to help you replenish your wardrobe."

Zack felt a wave of relief wash over him. "Thank you so much," he replied gratefully. "It would mean a lot to have a few necessities to start rebuilding."

Principal Johnson assured him, "You're part of our school community, Zack, and we're here to support you every step of the way. I'll get back to you soon with more information about how we can assist with clothing."

——

Zack stared at his phone, his mind racing with the events of the past few days. He hesitated for a moment before dialing Rian's number, running a hand through his hair as he hovered over the call button. With a deep breath, he pressed it and waited anxiously.

After a few rings, Rian's comforting voice came through the speaker. "Hey handsome. Thought I scared you off last night when you didn't contact me yesterday," Rian chuckled teasingly.

Zack managed a weak smile at Rian's playful tone. "Um, no, you didn't scare me off. Stuff happened," he replied cryptically.

"What stuff?" Rian's voice took on a more serious tone.

Zack hesitated, biting his lip nervously. "You know, stuff," he replied evasively.

"Zachary Merrick," Rian's voice was gentle but stern, causing Zack to bite his lip even harder in response. The authority in Rian's tone admittedly turned him on, though he tried to focus on recounting the recent events.

"Uh," Zack began, gathering his thoughts, "there was a member of the gang in the house. They tried to kill me, but I fought back and managed to escape. The police found me and took me back to the house, but then it went up in flames. Someone at the shelter found me a place to stay for the night, and then the principal arranged a shared house for me to stay in," he explained, his words tumbling out in a ramble. "You know, the usual," he added with a bitter laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

As Zack recounted the harrowing events, he could feel the weight of fear and exhaustion settling over him. He hoped Rian wouldn't be too worried, but deep down, he knew his therapist cared deeply for him.

Rian listened intently, his heart racing as Zack's words painted a vivid picture of danger and narrow escapes. Concern flooded through him, overwhelming any hint of arousal from Zack's response to his authoritative tone.

"Zack, I'm so glad you're safe," Rian said softly, his voice filled with genuine relief. "I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. Are you okay now? Do you need anything?"

Zack sighed, grateful for Rian's concern. "I'm hanging in there," he replied honestly. "Just trying to process everything. And maybe a bit shaken up."

"Of course," Rian replied reassuringly. "Take it easy, Zack. And please, keep me updated. I care about you, okay?"

Zack nodded, feeling a surge of warmth at Rian's words. "Okay. Thanks, Rian. I'll keep you posted."

"Anytime, Zack. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything," Rian said sincerely before they ended the call.

Zack set down his phone, feeling a mixture of emotions but grateful for Rian's support during such a tumultuous time.

Zack sighed and rolled onto his side, his head hitting the pillow with gentle force. A sigh escaped his lips as he attempted to fall asleep, failing to find comfort in the silence of the night.

After a moment of restlessness, Zack picked up his phone and messaged Rian.

Zack: I can't sleep x

Rian: I'm not surprised baby boy x

Zack: as a therapist what do
you recommend baby x

Rian: turn off all distractions
turn off lights. Use you're breathing
Methods like you would with anxiety

Zack: thanks baby I appreciate it x

Zack nodded to himself, appreciating Rian's advice even through text. He set his phone aside, following Rian's suggestions. Closing his eyes, he focused on slow, deep breaths, letting the tension ease from his body with each exhale.

Minutes passed, and Zack's mind gradually quieted. The rhythmic pattern of his breathing became a soothing cadence, guiding him toward the rest he desperately needed.

As Zack drifted into a calmer state, he felt a sense of gratitude for Rian's presence in his life—a constant source of comfort and guidance in times of turmoil.