3 | friendship is a fascinating program

Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture April 7, 2095 AD: Kuroba Residence
Mahiru paused in her keystrokes as a knock sounded on her door. It wasn't a mystery as to who it was—Ayako had distinct footsteps and psion aura. "You can come in," Mahiru called, exiting out of confidential tabs before glancing at her younger sister. 

"Onee-sama, you're awake so early," Ayako mumbled, entering Mahiru's room and glancing at the time. Holding a large frilly pillow, she blearily sat on Mahiru's bed. "You should sleep."

"If I do that, our father will die an early death from overwork," Mahiru replied drily, moving to sit next to her. "Ayako, what woke you up?" It was unusual for something to bother Ayako, especially as the house was designed to block out as much sound and light as possible at night. "Ayako, don't just intrude on someone else's room and fall asleep there." Poking at Ayako's cheeks, Mahiru smiled at the feeling while the receiver frowned and batted at her hand. 

Ayako's slightly chubby cheeks indicated her young age, barely in her last year of junior high. Despite this, she'd been given several intelligence missions to carry out with her twin. Age mattered little in the family—if one was capable enough, they'd be assigned duties accordingly to match the ranks of the family.

Mahiru tended to dote on Ayako and Fumiya, but not as much as she would Miyuki. After all, Miyuki could handle herself when worst came to it, and she had Tatsuya. Her siblings only had each other, so spoiling them too much could have a negative effect. Yet, neither of her siblings complained, lavishing her with great praise and affection. It was one of the things she enjoyed, being a part of this family.

"You avoided talking about the Crimson Prince at dinner," Ayako yawned before staring at Mahiru. "I know you didn't want to let Fumiya know just how relationships like these work out between man and woman, but it's okay when it's the two of us."

And the idea of doting on her siblings went out of the window slightly. 

"Yesterday was the second day of school—there is nothing there," Mahiru replied while pinching and pulling both of Ayako's cheeks. "Even if there is something, the pairing is not favorable—you out of all people should recognize that."

"I guess—I suppose it's better for Onee-sama to find someone that appreciates her personality than just her appearance," Ayako sighed, feeling a sense of regret that a drama story would not be playing out in front of her. "I'd definitely go over if someone like him gave me attention."

"And that's why I give you attention, so you don't go head over heels over a pretty boy that gives you flippant attention."

"Stop raising my expectations, Onee-sama, my betrothed—whoever that'll be—will never match up to you." Ayako pretended to swoon into Mahiru's arms. "On that note, Onee-sama will soon have a match will you not?"

"A whole year away, Ayako, let's not get too carried away."

"That's one more year than me." She sat up before leaning her head on Mahiru's shoulder. "I want Onee-sama to have a happy high school life—I know Father would want the same."

"I am happy with what I have."

"Yes, yes," Ayako responded, "I know me and Fumiya are wonderful siblings that give the best familial love that you could ever imagine, but there is much more than family."

"You know words like that will get you in trouble. Our family is one that will not allow anyone to leave—there is nothing more for us to want." Patting Ayako's head, Mahiru contemplated Ayako's words. "It is not easy to make friends for people like us. Friendships are built on information gaps and the willingness to get over the gap—the latter that I don't have and the former you don't have."