LET IT BE

In October 1968, shortly before opening in her new play, "Look Back In Anger", Jane was interviewed by journalist Ray Connolly.

LONDON EVENING STANDARD •

The following article was published on October 12, 1968:

“There are hundreds of things I’d like to change about the way I look if I were able. My legs are too short, for instance, so I don’t wear very short skirts. And, if I could, I’d get rid of all my freckles. It’s terrible to have to sit covered up in the sun when everyone else is wearing white bikinis and going beautifully brown. And I’d love to have a long thin face instead of a round silly one, and a straight nose instead of a crooked one. And then there are my teeth - they’re very crooked. It would be nice to have straight ones. Really I’m not very attractive at all. It’s a myth. I’ve been very well photographed, that’s all.”

It’s not that Jane Asher spends all her time worrying about her appearance. She doesn’t; in fact, she’s pretty careless about it. But, as she says, she’s 22 now, and she got to know herself pretty well - although in a way she can’t have done, because she’s actually devastatingly attractive. She looks at once both vulnerable and determined, and there’s masses of character in that little waif-like face. And her bright red hair comes as a fresh shock every time one sees her; it’s very beautiful. This week she’s been rehearsing for her part as Alison in the revival of John Osborne’s “Look Back in Anger” which opens at the Royal Court on October 29. She set her heart on getting the part and went for lots of readings before she was chosen. And she’s sure it’s the best part she’s ever played. Osborne himself had been at rehearsals that day, and her eyes were red and baggy with all the crying she’s had to do in the part.

She’s living these days in a little flat over a dry cleaners (“a very posh one that charges about two shillings more than anywhere else”) just off Baker Street, ‘round the corner from her brother Peter’s flat and about a quarter of a mile from whe...

She’s living these days in a little flat over a dry cleaners (“a very posh one that charges about two shillings more than anywhere else”) just off Baker Street, ‘round the corner from her brother Peter’s flat and about a quarter of a mile from where she was brought up in Wimpole Street. She moved in there a few months ago when her engagement to Paul McCartney was broken off.

“I know it sounds corny but we’re still very close friends. We really are,” she says in that distinctive classless voice. “We see each other and we love each other, but it hasn’t worked out. That’s all there is to it. Perhaps we’ll be childhood sweethearts and meet and get married again when we’re about seventy. Do you know that after we broke up lots of my old flames started ringing me up to see if I was going to be in circulation again.”