BONUS FEATURE. THE LIFE OF LOUIS AND CLARA

[This chapter deviates a bit from the superheroic action of the last five chapters and is a kind of intermission that explores a bit of the evolution of Louis and Clara's relationship over the years. Louis has been a bit absent in the last few chapters and will not play a major role in the remaining four chapters, at least until the end. Of course, he's still Clara Kent/Superwoman's love interest and we'll see how that turns out! This chapter is mostly a bit of a period drama with some comic book touches, so if you're not interested in the subject matter, you can skip it, because except for the first scene, it doesn't advance the story we've seen in the last five chapters. As for the political and religious issues it deals with, it is not in any way to show that this or that is better, but to give a bit of realism (within my limitations) and historical context to the characters, and to see a bit of the contradictions and difficulties of the time!]

17 February 1950

Metropolis

Louis glanced sideways at Alina as she wandered slowly through his living room. The truth was that Clara and Alina could not be more different. Alina reminded him of a cat. A big, aloof cat, but with a certain charm. It was the fourth or fifth time in the last month that Alina had come to his house for a drink. Although she was a fervent conservative, her customs and lifestyle were anything but traditional. When he first encountered her in the 1930s, she was much the same as she was today. She slightly resembled Pat, his estranged wife and mother to Emily, which perhaps contributed to his dwindling attraction and subtle apprehension towards her. Nonetheless, she was an intelligent and bold woman, whose company he admittedly enjoyed, despite being painfully aware of his own vanity when basking in Alina's attention. Louis harbored no delusions about her; Alina was a woman of many past relationships, practiced an open marriage with Captain Baker, and was his superior at World Magazine. Recently arrived in Metropolis, America, from France, she was already making waves in journalism, yet he sensed her disenchantment with her new surroundings. Metropolis was no Paris. In his view, he was likely just a diversion or an unresolved issue to her.

While serving as correspondents in Spain during 1937, within territories under General Franco's control—a period marked by their initial tentative and questioning support for the Nationalists—Alina tried to seduce him, albeit half-heartedly. In those days, Louis harbored resentment toward Pat that mirrored the estrangement he felt toward Clara in the present. He was convinced that no romantic entanglement would ensue, not by his desire. Louis was additionally weighed down by the thought, which he persistently denied, that succumbing to Alina too readily after steadfastly resisting Clara for over three years would betray his principles. His sincere faith and orthodoxy, his adherence to a deeply ingrained religious upbringing, a source of pride and distinction within his social sphere, and a steadfast code of honor became his refuge amid the tumult of his life. In matters of the heart, unlike in all other aspects of existence, he recognized himself as perpetually hesitant and timorous. He had to remind himself again that Clara was merely another facade of Superwoman, a formidable and nearly eternal extraterrestrial being. As Alina reclined on his sofa, stirring her whisky with a grand smile, Louis couldn't help but notice her teeth—sharp, almost like fangs.

"My dear Ochi Chornye, what are you thinking about?"

"Oh, Spain, Alina."

"Maybe we should go back, right, Cherie? There's a good article waiting for us in Espagne. Now it seems we must get along with all the anti-Communists in the world, and that includes General Franco. I've already forgiven them for trying to shoot us."

Louis laughed, "The Nationalists wanted to shoot us even though we wrote in their favor. I really didn't start writing against them until they bombed Guernica."