•1

theo looked up from his paper as a wet, dripping sound came from beside him. water droplets fell slowly down the window, creating a network of spiderweb-like trails. he wondered how he was going to get home. the weather forecast hadn't predicted rain, and his umbrella was currently sitting in the entrance to his house.

he complemented running home. he didn't like the rain; the way the droplets soaked his clothes, leaving them wet and stuck to his skin was an unbearable experience. theo would rather stay at school all night, but alas, his mom had invited their relatives over and told him he couldn't miss dinner with them, again.

sighing, he returned to his work, and hoped the school day would never end. he didn't want to go home.

✧✧✧✧✧

theo stepped outside the building after school, raising his hand to the rain. it had turned to a light drizzle by then, and maybe the sky had heard his prayers. he was glad he didn't have to arrive home dripping wet.

he took a few steps into the open air, and suddenly, the dark sky protruded him, and the rain that was light before turned heavy.

"of course i wouldn't be that lucky," he whispered, before taking off his bag and holding it above his head. theo took off, running to the bus station nearest to the school. the bag had mostly covered his hair, but his clothes became drenched and stuck to his skin.

as soon as theo was safe under the roof of the bus station, he set his backpack down and peeled his shirt off from the front of his chest. theo cursed out his past self and his poor choice of clothing. it wasn't as cold that day, and so he had just stuck with a white t-shirt. that said t-shirt was now see-through.

theo groaned. the day had already started bad with his parents telling him he had to be home for dinner, and then it got even worse. it was as if the sky knew of his misfortune and portrayed it.

as he stood there, wringing out his wet shirt, he felt a tap on his shoulder. a boy, a little bit taller than theo, had his hand outstretched, holding a black umbrella. "take it," he said, gesturing to the umbrella.

theo was about to refuse when he saw a second umbrella in his other hand. he mumbled out a thank you, and took the umbrella.

the stranger left, walking away with his umbrella over his head. theo watched him, wondering why he chose to walk home instead of taking the bus.

as the boy rounded a corner, theo sat down on the bench behind him, resting against the back of the bus stop. it was a relatively quiet afternoon; nobody was walking around as the rain stopped people from going outside. instead, they were all piled into the many cars that lined the streets.

once again, theo let out a huff. he was going to be sitting there for a while.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

476 words
edited

author's note

thank you so much for reading the first (real) chapter! i'm writing this at a hotel right now, because i guess the only real inspiration i get is when i'm not at home (i also am barely productive at home, even for homework or practicing guitar, so that just makes sense).

i hope you like the story so far! next chapter, you'll get a small insight into theo's family :)

- cassie