CHAPTER 4

Ashley’s POV

No matter how much I tried to not think about it, the incident of that night kept popping into my head.

I woke up with the dread of that man coming to my doorstep any time.

I was freaky all day.

Marie noticed my bizarre behaviour but did not make any comment about it.

What could I tell her?

I wasn’t even sure if it was real or if my mind played tricks on me. There was no news regarding any murder or a dead body found behind the club.

I didn’t want to believe it either.

But I could not deny what I saw.

Nathaniel shot a person and I was the witness to it.

“Ashley?” I was shaken out of my thoughts. “Mr. Walters is calling you,” Kate pointed toward our professor.

“Okay,” I nodded.

Kate went back to her seat and I went to Mr. Walters’s desk.

I discussed the details of the ongoing project with him. I was so happy when he announced that we would go solo on it instead of working in pairs.

I wanted to be left alone for now.

I got up once I was done with the discussion and went back to my table.

“How did it go?” Kate turned her chair in my direction when I sat down.

“Good.” I arranged my papers and opened my laptop.

“I am glad you are okay now,” Kate smiled when I looked at her. “Let bygones be bygones.”

“Yeah,” I replied and laid out the drafts in front of me. “Let bygones be bygones.”

“Let’s finish this and head to the canteen, yeah?” Kate asked.

“Sure,” I nodded and we got back to our work. “Let’s get this over with.”

And forget about that night for good this time.

*****

“This project was the worst thing that happened in all these years,” I whined to my mother.

“Don’t fret over it too much, baby. I know you gave it your all. Just be calm and cool with the output, okay?”

“I am not fussing over it.” I dragged my feet along the way. “It’s just that you know I don’t do anything half-hearted. I either give it my all or not at all.”

“I know but stop pushing yourself too much,” Mom reasoned. “You are doing just fine. We are already proud of you.”

I smiled at her words.

“One more day until semester break and I will spend a whole week with you. I can’t wait.” I said excitedly.

“Me too, kiddo.” Mom chuckled. “I can’t wait to see you too.”

“I need to hang up now. Marie will kill me if I don’t reach the car before her. I am so not in the mood to bicker with her. I will call you later, okay? I love you, mom. Take care, bye.”

“Be careful, Ash. I love you too. I will always love you.”

I disconnected the call and put my phone back in my pocket.

I groaned when my phone buzzed again. I was just too lazy right now to even answer a single call.

“I swear if it’s Marie-”