Chapter 2: Emily's Point Of View.

(The same day)

I am seriously concerned about Anna. She is a grown woman, yet she is not finding a stable job. I know that I am Dad's successor in DC labs. But as a member of the Bassett family, she must join us at DC labs. Both of us have educational degrees to continue our Dad's work.

Honestly, things would have been a little less stressful if she were here to assist me. Instead, she is out there, doing theatrics. She got our Granny's genes and Mom's temper. It's ridiculous that she believes in the existence of the supernatural. It's all just a bunch of myths with no scientific basis.
I am a bit fascinated by her theories. What if I didn't become Dad's successor? What if my Dad didn't put constant effort on me to embrace the legacy?I can't get stuck in the past. I was born for this. Microbiology is my life's purpose. I have a task to complete.

I have been receiving multiple unnatural strong signals from the forest. It's getting stronger. I feel like it's beckoning me towards itself. Our radar and maps cannot identify the location yet. I will get to the bottom of this.

Mom and Dad shifted to London after Dad's retirement. We chose to stay back. Both of us made friends here. I may give the impression of being a hardcore workaholic. But I am a human being. I love my profession. But sometimes, I wish to be like Anna. Just as carefree.

We are twins. We don't look the same. In terms of personalities, we are polar opposites. We have our quarrels and disagreements. We fight a lot. But at the end of the day, we love each other.
We will do everything to protect each other.

Summer solstice is coming after a week. That's three days after the foundation day. By that time, the festival is over. All the stalls would be completely empty. The tents will be removed. The main gate and the rides are permanent. The celebration is always held in Dreamstale National Park.

It seems that Anna has been tense for the last few days. She feels that something is wrong. She insists that the festival should wrap up quickly. I think she is just exhausted from all the preparations. I don't believe in intuition. But I can't deny, somehow, her assumptions are correct.

I feel I should let loose a little and enjoy. I have this urge to spend more time with family and friends. My sister will be surprised. When was the last time I attended foundation day? When was the last time I hung out with my friends? When was the last time I hugged my little sister? I miss it so much. I am tired... so tired. Should I take a leave for a few days? Should I shut down the lab for just days? I'll delegate tasks to Max and Camille. They are excellent in their jobs.

For now, I should go to dinner and bring Anna too. It's my responsibility. Anna probably hates me now. I can hear her talking to someone. Is she preparing the speech? I am so sorry sis, but I have to interrupt you. Otherwise, Mom will scold both of us. So I opened the door and looked at her and said,

"Do you honestly believe this legend? Your immaturity gives me migraines..."

She turned around and saw me. She looked irritated.

Anna: Do you always have to ruin the mood?

Emily: Anna...

Anna: I know where you're going with that! You are going to say, "Get back to reality, Anna! Life is not a fairytale. The supernaturals do not exist!"

Emily: That's what I was going to say. Thanks for saving my energy.

Anna: What's your problem? Why do you always keep pestering me!? Mom and Dad already scolded me a lot. And now you!? Who gave you the right to dominate me?

Emily: Not this again...

Anna: you are...

Emily: I don't have the time for this. I am your older sister...

Anna: By 2 minutes!

Emily: It still counts. I raised you. You have no idea what it's like to be the older sibling. Anyway, mom's calling you for dinner. Be polite and control your emotions.

And then I left.

Why was I so rude to her? Is this what I've become? Did I get habituated to this? It was uncalled for. She was excited. I hurt her for no reason. When did I become so toxic? I must apologise and make amends. Too much stress is draining me, and I am dumping that on Anna just like our parents did to us. She doesn't deserve this.