Chapter 6

"Sir, we have some urgent news!" a voice called, echoing in the large room. A spinny chair squeaked as it spun.
     "Yes?" a scratchy voice replied, stretching the word out a little.
     "Well, you see, sir, they are on their way!"
"Oh, Molasses..." the scratchy voice began, "that is adorable!"
"...what?" Molasses asked.
"They think they can stop me?" Scratchy asked maniacally. "Such fools!" The voice laughed, then, out of nowhere, it stopped. "Molasses... my boy, have I shown you my weapon?"
"I don't think you have, sir," replied Molasses. The figure that the voice came from clicked a button.
"Julio, call the boy down." A faint 'yes, sir' could be heard. After less than 5 minutes, a knock arrived at the door. "Come in!"
Molasses looked at the weapon. The weapon wasn't really a weapon, but rather a kid. The boy was a pale red with darker red spines. In his mouth, he held a thermometer-like stick.
"Ah, nice to see you've arrived!" the voice said. Looking at Molasses for a decisive moment, he said, "Kill him."
"...what?" Molasses asked. "But he's just a kid! His life has barely started!"
"Not him. You." The boy looked a little horrified, but he nodded. He took him out of the room. After a few minutes, he came back, red spattered on him. "Well done, Socks!"
• • •
     They'd been walking for a while and, frankly, Gus was kinda sick of it. Appendix still had her usual energy. Sometimes Gus could swear that she was constantly on a sugar rush.
     Finally, they exited the forest and Gus could see a house in the distance. As they walked, the house got larger and soon enough, they were at the door. Mister Hache knocked and a pretty stego opened it. She smiled.
     Around her spines was a vibrant purple that, as it crept away from them, faded into a dark gray. Her spines were a dark shade of purple.
     "Hello!" the stego said. "Mister Hache, Appendix, how are you?"
     "Fine," Mister Hache replied.
     "Wonderful!" Appendix practically hollered, her springy headband bouncing. "Oh, Feathers! This is Sarcophagus, or Gus! Also do you have phoenix ash?" she continued excitedly. The purple stego, Feathers, giggled.
     "I'd have to check, but either way, I could help you get it," she responded. Then, turning to Gus, she said, "Nice to meet you!"
     "Nice you meet you too!" Gus responded.
     "Come on, I'll take you guys inside while I check," Feathers said. The three nodded and walked inside. Feathers walked into her storage room, looking for the phoenix ash.
     After a few minutes, she came back holding a smallish vile filled with a gray powder.
     "I do have some, but I don't know if it'll be enough," she told them. Mister Hache walked up to her and inspected the vile.
     "It should be enough, but we won't know until we try," he said. "Feathers, do you mind if we use your kitchen?"
     "Of course not!" Mister Hache nodded and had Gus follow him into the kitchen. Appendix looked at Feathers.
     "When are you gonna ask my brother out? You know he's not gonna do it." Feathers looked at Appendix in shock.
     "Eh?!"
     "Appendix! Knock it off!" Mister Hache called from the kitchen.
     "ApPeNdIx! KnOcK iT oFf!" Appendix mocked.
     "Fuck off!" Mister Hache called.
     "Swear jar!"
     "Go fuck yourself!"
     "Swear jar x2! Also if you don't, I'll tell mom!"
     "Oh for fucks sake! Fine!" Feathers giggled at the interaction. Gus was honestly just confused. How did he not know they were siblings?