Chapter 4. The Bubbler

Marinette was asleep when she was awoken by her cell phone. She jumped up and sent Tikki flying. "Huh? Happy birthday... ow!" She jumped down the stairs and hit her chaise. "Happy birthday!" She exclaimed when she realised it her Adrien's birthday. She got onto her computer and turned it on, revealing her desktop background to be a collage of Adrien's photos. "Ah! Happy birthday, Adrien." She gushed. She giggled as she leaned in and began kissing the screen, horrifying Tikki.

***

As Adrien brushed his teeth, Plagg flew into the bathroom. "Happy birthday, Adrien!" Plagg exclaimed as he brought a piece of camembert cheese wrapped with a red bow.

"Ugh, Plagg! Get that filthy piece of Camembert out of my face!" Adrien plugged his nose, trying to protect himself from the smell.

"Huh?" Plagg said, confused. He looked at the cheese and shrugged, he ate it. "Mmm." Plagg hummed as he rubbed his stomach.

***

As Adrien brushed his teeth, Isabella was working on part two of her birthday present to Adrien. She stood outside Gabriel's office and knocked gently.

"Gabriel, are you busy?" Isabella asked when she opened the door.

"I have a few minutes, what seems to be problem?" He asked, not once looking up from his work.

"Well, it's Adrien's birthday today." She paused. "He's first one with proper friends... I was hoping that I could compose a small get-together for him and his friends." She suggested.

"No." Gabriel said.

Isabella lost her smile. She knew what Adrien wanted... he wants to have a birthday with his friends. "I'm sorry, I believe I heard wrong... it sounded like you said 'no'."

"I did. Adrien won't be having people over."

Isabella was determined. "I refuse to accept that. Adrien wants to spend the day with his friends, especially when his own father doesn't even say hi to him."

"Excuse me..." Gabriel was stopped by Isabella.

"You're excused for your behaviour." Isabella said. "Have you even gotten your son a present?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"Of course, I have."

"What is it?"

"Nathalie has it."

"So, Nathalie brought him a present, and you don't know what it is." Isabella said.

Gabriel looked at the girl in anger. "Now, you listen..."

"No, you listen. You don't even choose the presents for Nathalie to buy. So, she gets him a pen, year after year, disappointing him. From now on, things are going to be different. This year, Adrien gets a party with his friends and he will be showered in presents because that is what he deserves." Isabella said, she walked out, leaving the man shocked.

***

While Isabella was getting dressed, Adrien sat alone at the big dining table. Just then, Nathalie walked in, tablet in hand.

"Your schedule, Adrien." She said, as she handed Adrien a tablet.

Adrien took it. "Thanks, Nathalie." Nathalie made a move to leave but Adrien stopped her. "Hey, um, did my father get back to you about my birthday party?" He asked, his face lighting up, hoping the answer was yes.

"Well, um... He doesn't think it would be a good idea." Nathalie said, her heart breaking at the disappointment on his face.

"Course not." He spoke softly.