Hot Coffee Is A Hazard To Tongues

When I enter the school gate, I'm heading to the building when someone taps me. I turn around to see Izzy behind me and Emily sitting near a tree.

"Emily came this early?" I ask in surprise.

"Yeah, I don't know why either," Izzy says. "Come as fast as you can but don't die," she jokes and I continue walking to the building.

When I reach the classroom, it's to see that Emily's bag is in the first seat of the row near the door and Izzy's bag is behind Emily's. Wondering why they never seem to save seats in the other row, I sigh and put my bag in the third seat, and then go downstairs. My friends are waiting near the canteen.

"We've got three tests!!" cries Izzy.

"Three tests? Aren't we supposed to have two tests?" asks Emily, confused.

I laugh as I join them. "What world have you been living in?"

"We've got the French test, English Grammar and Pure Maths test," answers Izzy.

Emily's eyes widen. "Wait what?! Pure Maths??!"

"Yeah. We've got a Pure Maths test today," I state.

"Let's go join the assembly," Izzy suggests because many students are already lining up.

After going to our line, Izzy warns both Emily and I. She orders me not to laugh and Emily not to sing during the national anthem, because even though she loves to sing, Izzy finds Emily's voice weird.

"Well not Emily, to be honest. Ian sings so bad that it makes me laugh. He always stands behind me and sings like a maniac. I mean, if you can't sing then just don't sing!" comments Izzy, and I'm sort of confused because I heard Ian sing once and it wasn't that bad...but then again, it could be someone else's singing.

After a while, I notice that Emily is standing in between Izzy and I, something she always does, and I go in between her and Izzy.

She tries to separate us once more, but I'm quick to act and reclaim my position no sooner than she takes it. She gets the hint, but moves far away. "I know why you don't want me in the middle, " I hear her say. Yeah, those tricks won't work on me.

"Why's Emily standing all the way over there?" Izzy asks.

"Maybe because she's so tall? I actually have no idea," I say, and then start to talk about how I hate the chemistry teacher, and how she hates me too. "And the reason why I hate her is because of what she did last year! I mean, she almost made me fail and have to redo the whole year, or worse, get expelled! And then the other day, she looked at me and still got my name wrong, and since people remember names by faces and physical stuff, that means she thinks I'm fat and all that stuff! Ugh, I hate her so much that I want to kill her!"

Izzy seems to be silent. I didn't know why she was doing that but suddenly I realise that Mrs Campbell was behind us. She hates both Izzy and I and insults us almost everyday because of laughing. I still remember that day when she asked me if I have laughing problems or not. It was so embarrassing because Nate was there too!

Once she's gone, I'm gasping for air due to how much I'm laughing. "I- haha- can't believe that I said all that and she heard it! Hahaha!"

Soon, the rest of our classmates line up and assembly starts.

We stand in silence for the rest of assembly, and then we get called onto the stage. The kid from last time waves at me, and I mutter, "Don't you dare."

I stare at a random tree so that I wouldn't laugh, and someone behind me sings terribly. I guess it's Ian... The song is over, and we return to the line, salute the flag, and go back to class.